Downsizing my impeller

Apr 11, 2014
Indonesia
I apologise for bumping this thread. I am new here and have been a silent reader in the last couple of weeks.

Topic split. Please ask questions in your own topic rather than hijacking someone else's existing topic. JasonLion

First of all, I have dilemma in regards to this topic. I am also planning to downsize the impeller for my oversized pump. I understand the benefits of downsizing the impeller but how low should i choose for the impeller? My current pump is single speed 2850rpm, 2.2hp pump and manufacturer offers different impellers ranging from 1.2 hp, 1.4 hp, 1.6 hp to 2.2 hp. My pool has no feature requirement, like spa or pressure cleaner other than backwashing the sand filter.

From my initial calculation based on the wanted turnover rate (6-8 hours), I should downsize it to 1.4 hp. If I ignore the turnover rate, I could easily just choose the lowest impeller offered (1.2 hp impeller). My dilemma is this. Don't we have meet the min requirement for backwashing sand filter? or I could just ignore the backwash requirment of the sand filter?

Your expertise in this will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Downsizing the impeller

:wave: Welcome to TFP, yoitsme!!!

You might have gotten better response by starting a new thread for yourself.

Generally, turn over is meaningless. See the article in Pool School: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/152-determine-pump-run-time

So, you should be able to go as small as you want on the impeller (assuming that they use the same diffuser).

You are right that you may not backwash as well, but you should likely do a cleaning of the sand bed every year or so anyway: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73192-Deep-Cleaning-a-Sand-Filter

Thanks for confirming my dilemma. Yes, that specific pump's model uses the same diffuser.

Unfortunately, most of the pumps sold in my country are single speed and the distributor has to indent it if I want the 2 speed or variable speed model.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.