Year 2 Pool Opening

Jun 4, 2013
Fuquay-Varina NC
Hi everyone! Thanks a ton in advance. You have been lifesavers for us. I have a couple of questions about our numbers and what to do now that we have started adding bleach.

This is year two with our pool, and we started a little hastily with adding bleach before testing the water. We figured, it's blackish green with floating algae, we need bleach! We have been adding bleach since Monday. The water is now a cloudy olive green. I did the first round of testing this morning and here are my numbers:

FC = 1
CC = 1
TC = 2
TA = 20
pH = 6.8
CH = 70
CYA < 20 (note on the CYA: it was getting a little cloudy but I could definitely still see the black dot in the CYA tube. Instructions says to write down the numbered line it's closest to, but it was only closest to 20 because I couldn't add any more water/reagent mixture without overflowing.)

According to the Pool Math, we need to raise the CYA, TA and pH.

My question is, since we have started adding bleach, what should we focus on (or an order of what to focus on would be great!)? I read pH is not reliable while shocking, and you can't add CYA and then backwash, which we are still doing a few times a day at this point.

A related question: before we found this site last year we were getting trichlor (pucks and powder) for chlorine, and now we have lots of it from last summer because we couldn't return it. I have read that this raises CYA but can lower pH/TA. Can we use this to improve our numbers?

Thanks for all your help.

As detailed in the slam process I would get the PH up to 7.2 and then start the slam process by putting in the appropriate amount of chlorine. You don't have a problem with CH or high CYA so you could use the trichlor for the slam process and it would also raise cya but it will also lower PH.
Mark

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.