New pool and new to pools

May 9, 2014
Nashville tn
Hi everybody. I am getting a pool installed very shortly. My pool is a 24' round 52" above ground with a cartridge filter. I will be filling from the hose. How do I start a brand new pool. I see posts on opening, but I didn't see much on a brand new pool with fresh water. I plan on using bleach and the other basic(BBB) method if possible. Thanks in advance.

Welcome. Did you get a test kit yet? If not, you should. We recommend the TF100. It's a MUST HAVE when owning a pool. Lets just get that out of the way. :goodjob: Have you read Pool School? If not, you should read some every night until you understand it.

Most of the time, You will only adjust the pH and chlorine in new water and add CYA. You will learn about all of this in Pool School a.k.a. HomeWork!!! ;) We adjust pH up or down with borax or muriatic acid first, then calculate how much CYA we need by using Pool Math and then add chlorine.

Understanding the basics comes from reading though... We can't do it for you so please, read Pool School, order the kit and ask questions.

Welcome to TFP!

The first step is to get a complete set of test results for the new water.

Until you have started adding CYA for 24 hours, you add 2 ppm of chlorine after sunset each evening.

Other than that you just work on getting your levels into the recommended ranges.

Thanks for the help so far. I am going to purchase a test kit tonight. Out pool goes up a week from today! We can't wait.
Welcome! :wave: Order it online. You probably won't find what you need in stock locally and they'll just sell you a DPD kit and tell you it's the same as a FAS-DPD kit, but it's not.

Best value is TF100. I recommend getting the XL option now, because the refill powder is extremely hard to find locally so you might as well get the refill now. Plus, you'll be having so much fun with your new Mad Scientist Playset that you'll burn through test reagents at an amazing rate until the novelty wears off in August or so...
Mad_scientist.gif

The other reagents are easy to find locally if you run out suddenly. It's an investment, not an expense. Also, nobody who has a speedstir regrets it. Just search "speedstir" in the box at the top and you'll see.

With a fresh fill, it will be super easy to get going. Adjust pH or raise Fc to 2, whichever you want to do first. While that's mixing, weigh out the CYA, tie it up in a nylon or sock, and fumble around suspending it in front of the return somehow, dangling off a pole, bobbing off a floating toy, whatever. By the time you have that done, the first chemical should have had half an hour to mix, and you can proceed with the next adjustment. The chemistry will be settled well before the water is warm enough to get in!

You and i are in very similar boats. I just finished setting up my 27' agp and am new to all this stuff. Glad I found this site before I became a pool store guy like I was with my older smaller pools. Looking forward to rocking the tfpc method along with you.

Well I just purchased the Taylor 2006c. I ended up buying this because it was on amazon and I was already purchasing some other stuff. Tuesday is coming quick for install day and I can't wait. The kids are even more excited. School is out in two weeks so this is just in time.

Casey-thanks I have gone through pool school over and over. Lots of fantastic info. I took care of a pool for one season years ago following the plan from the store and by mid season it was green. Every week I dumped in tons of stuff and money to no avail. I used lots of tabs and powder weekly and now I know why the chlorine didn't do much. I would bet that my CYA level was off the chart. I can't wait to take charge of this. I started searching out prices for cheap bleach. No luck yet.

Jared

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.