220 volt plug

gotsno

Apr 24, 2014
Gardners, PA
So I got a pump with my used pool that can be wried up 110v or 220v. I would like to wire it 220v with a GFI braker as it draws less amps and should use less energy and be better on my electric bill. Instead of hardwiring it has anyone ever used a 220volt plug like whats on a cloths dryer? I want to be able to just unplug and take the pump inside the garage over winter. I would use all the proper outdoor rated electrical boxes and covers. I already have the 110v GFI line installed from the old Intex pool we had before. Still need that for my SWG. I do not mind putting in the 220v line but not sure if its woth it or not after you add up the cost of the pieces to do it.

Thanks for any info.

The total electrical cost will be nearly identical at 110 and 220. Switching to 220 halves the amps but doubles the volts, leaving watts constant. There is a tiny savings from less power lost in the wiring, but not normally a big enough difference to even notice.

Like Jason said, the savings between changing the wiring from 120V to 240V is unlikely to be worth the effort or cost. In a typical pool pump environment you are probably only looking at a 2-3% savings, perhaps less. If you still want to go with a plug you will want one of the twist lock variety.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.