The Pool Calculator and CSI

This is the start of my first full season as our pool was finished last July. Have been following TFP pool directions carefully using the Pool Calculator and the TF 100 kit to monitor. Always trying to learn as I go. (Kind thanks in advance to anyone who has helped or reading this!:D

I've been doing the full test the last few weeks making adjustments as needed to FC, pH, TA, CH and CYA. These are my current results:

FC 3, pH 7.2, TA 100, CH 230, CYA 70, Salt 3450, Temp of 77.​

My question is related to CSI as the Pool Calculator computes. It is currently -0.66 stating that Corrosion of plaster likely. As I am really new to this, it seems that the CSI is quite sensitive. I know my TA is up and salt is up slightly as well but the other readings seem quite within the normal ranges. I had just added muriatic acid as previous pH reading was 8.0 and thus the lowered pH of 7.2. This if I'm reading the calculator correctly, this will lower my TA. I've got some stabilizer in socks bringing my CYA up slowly and Calcium Chloride on order from Amazon.

As my TA comes down from lowering pH then aerating, the CSI increases to a greater negative number (-0.78). So plugging in false numbers into the calculator, it seems that a higher pH of 7.8 with everything else perfectly at FC 3, TA 80, CH 350, CYA 80 that the CSI says balanced.

Am I being too detailed and worrying about CSI?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 9.35.45 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 9.35.45 AM.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 62
"Am I being too detailed and worrying about CSI?" Umm.. Yes.

Or to put that another way, if those readings were your normal day to day readings you might have a mild very long term problem. But if that just represents a step in the lowering TA process, then nothing to worry about. Long term both PH and CH should be higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.