Ice Damage to our pool

May 10, 2013
The winter was tough for us this year with more ice than normal. It ended up pulling our skimmer down through the side of the pool and tearing the liner. My husband plans to use sheet metal to repair the side of the pool but we're wondering if we could repair the hole in the liner or if it's just too big and/or in a bad location and we need to replace it. I'm attaching a photo of it. The large hole in the side is the spot where the skimmer belongs. The liner is 6 years old. Our water is turning quite green and we want to get at it before we have a major cleanup if we can keep this liner. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1749.JPG.jpg
    IMG_1749.JPG.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 124
You can see if you can get a piece of a liner and try patching, but I doubt it will hold for a full season. If you do try, make sure the patch extends 4-6" past the torn area. More glue surface may make the difference.

I would definitely retire that liner. It was a brutal winter.

Thank you everyone. I was afraid of your response, but expected it. The cost of the liner isn't the problem but the cost of the water is. We'll probably try to patch and hope that it holds for a while at least until we can handle the rest of the cost. Is there a thread on the best type of liner? We had been given our pool by a neighbour when they wanted to put up a garage in its place. They had actually used the liner for one season before passing it on to us. We were pleased that we were able to use it still. So we've never bought one.

You can try yo save it but if it let's loose, you may lose more than just the liner... you risk major pool damage, the water loss you're so concerned about and possibly a life if you or anyone is in the pool IF and WHEN it lets go. The risks are there and up for the taking if you so choose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.