CYA and water temp

lee872

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2012
Central Massachusetts
I opened pool a week ago and see a huge difference in opening earlier than I have in the past. I don't want to mess up a good start, so I'm looking for advice on CYA level. It measured 50 yesterday, and I'm aiming for 70 in gradual additions so I don't overshoot. Pool Calc said 1 gallon of liquid stabilizer to raise to 60; I added that yesterday. This morning CYA is about 52 -- hmmm. I'm wondering whether to stay on plan and keep adding until I get to 70, or should I be making adjustments for the cold water?

I'm using bleach until I pull my salt level up. I'm getting salt today, and want to get it added today if possible because we have a rainy couple of days coming up and I want to get SWG going. So I guess part 2 of the question is should I start the SWG once the salt is up, or should I wait until CYA is at least 60?

Levels:
Water Temp 55, about 1/3 into deep end
FC 5.5
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 70
CH 190
CYA 52

P.S. Site upgrades are great!

You can start the SWG as long as the water is warm enough. It is still early in the season, so the slightly lower CYA will not likely make much difference .... I would not be in a hurry to raise it up.

The CYA test can be thrown off by testing with a cold water sample. It is best to allow the sample to warm up to room temperature before testing. That test is also sensitive to lighting. It should be read in full sunlight with your back to the sun and your body shading the view tube.

From the Aqua Trol Instruction manual "The Aqua Trol control will not produce chlorine at temperatures below 50º F. If your pool will be below this temperature for any length of time, you must chlorinate manually."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.