Question on dropping GPM

pedsrn

May 29, 2007
Alabama
Last year, our SWG just didn't do the job it had done in the first two years. I thought we were going to have to replace it and just chalked it up to using (abusing) an intex system on a 24' pool. However, I think I just realized the issue, but need advice.

I see that the SWG is rated for 700-4,000 GPH. Well, we purchased a new pump at start up last year, and the output on it is 91 GPM @10ft, 80 GPM @30ft, 62 GPM @40ft and 32 GPM @50ft. Since we just have about a 4' run from head to pump, I'm thinking we are pushing way too much water through the salt water system and it isn't having time to work?

Does this sound logical and does it mean we can simply add length (about 35'!) to the line from the pump to the head to drop the gpm? ORRRRRRRRRRR is there a simpler solution?

TYVM!
Tracy

Hmmm, so I just called hubby at work to tell him how smart his wife is and he busted my bubble by telling me that the output ratings are VERTICAL, so just adding hose or pipe won't solve the problem. Don't think the neighbors would appreciate my filter being 30' in the air either. So, does this mean with our nice, new Hayward 1.5hp pump, we killed our chances of using our intex swg and are going to have to invest in a higher-priced model?

Most likely your cell has simply worn out and needs to be replaced, although there are several other possibilities. A SWG has a finite lifetime, and wears out more quickly when used with a larger pool. When the cell is wearing out the low salt level light tends to go on, which can be temporarily fixed by adding more salt, but eventually that stops working. Another possibility is that your chemical balance drifted off, making chlorine more difficult to maintain.

Your new pump is on the high end of what the Intex SWG can handle, but I very much doubt that has anything to do with it.

For a pool that size and a pump that size, it makes more sense to run two Intex SWGs in parallel, splitting the flow between them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.