What would you do differently, if you could rebuild your pool?

I would definitely change the shape. A few of my less mature buddies pointed out that the shape looks "suggestive" from the right angle, and now I can't unsee :pale:

c2of9H6.jpg

LOL pinguy!

I would have one of my skimmers in a more downwind locale.
I would also move one of my lights to a more ideal location. From some areas of the deck I get a little glare that could have easily been avoided.
Maybe add some lighting within the waterfall.

Things I am thankful I forethought:
LOTs of conduits.
I prepared for most eventualities by laying conduits under my deck for low voltage lighting, speakers, sprinklers, electrical receptacles, AV cables (for outdoor theatre).
Prelaid gas lines for outdoor kitchen.
If I don't use some of them, who cares, it was a few bucks to put them in then. It would be thousands to put them in now.

I have venturi skimmers. I didn't know what they were but my PB put them in standard. They are amazing. Even if the wind isn't pushing leaves toward the skimmers they somehow can draw them in from 4 feet away.

Also I got a free upgrade to add beads to my pool. They are amazing and honestly I would have never paid for them during the build but now that I have them I would definitely put them in my next pool.

Stuff I would add if I could...
1. A shut off for my overflow (I lose water during wind storms and when my kids splash the water). Anyway to prevent water loss but still have the overflow.
2. I wish my tanning ledge was bigger.
3. More benches

We love our pool, but if I had it to do over again...

1. Go with a different builder.
2. Insist on SWCG.
3. Sport pool depths or at the most 5 ft on the deep end. Ours is currently 6 ft and other than allowing for cannonballs it's not much use.
4. An extra bench on the near side of the pool.
5. The stamped concrete even with sand added during sealing is still too slick for us so something else but I don't know what.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I could do it all over again - the changes I would make are the following:

1. Might consider not doing vinyl, I definitely prefer the feel but I would like to let my dogs have free range swimming in the pool but cant' with the Vinyl, also could use more loungers on the tanning ledge without the fear of ripping it.
2. DIFFERENT BUILDER also.
3. A few more inches in the low end.
4. Skinnier on the center of the pool to allow for easier volleyball.

Nothing else really, love the pool, maybe add a glass firepit

Our pool is approximately 3ft deep in the shallow end and I think I'd like it a bit deeper. We went with a true "L" and enjoy the added space in the shallow end.

Agreed on length. It $$ weren't an issue we'd enjoy longer for laps. Getting a pool when children were 5 and 7 ended up producing competative swimmers (their choice) and we never expected that. Longer for laps would be good.

Nobody has ever complained about having too much pool decking. About the only change I would make is my depth. I have a sports/play pool that is 3.5 to 5 to 4 ft depth. I would make it 4,5,4. Almost nobody hangs out in the 3.5 area, and 4,5,4 is perfect for sports, since it makes both ends the same.

Differently? More conduit - just stupid mass runs of conduit everywhere. :)

I'm particularly pleased with the integrated spa/fire pit, large decking, SWG and the aluminum screen enclosure. I'll never have another pool without an enclosure.

Everything that I would do differently is only because I intentionally didn't spend the money on it the first time...gotta draw the line somewhere (and the line was too high already). Heater or solar, pool shed, maybe pebble finish...and maybe 4-9.5' instead of 3-8.5' (it's only 3' for about 1" in length though). And maybe a few feet longer, say to 45'. And how about space heaters in the pavillion, and ...

Everything that I would do differently is only because I intentionally didn't spend the money on it the first time...gotta draw the line somewhere (and the line was too high already). Heater or solar, pool shed, maybe pebble finish...and maybe 4-9.5' instead of 3-8.5' (it's only 3' for about 1" in length though). And maybe a few feet longer, say to 45'. And how about space heaters in the pavillion, and ...

I'm in this boat too. I blew by my budget as it was but I would of did luminars instead of deck jets. $700 a piece compared to $250 for four. I wish I would of added bubblers to the sun shelf too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.