Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Small Cleaner for Step and Bench Areas

1. Back To Top    #1

Small Cleaner for Step and Bench Areas

Can anyone recommend a small (handheld) cleaner that I can use quickly to get little dirt particles and small item#4 chipped pieces (while waiting for patio to be done) out of the pool. We do have an AquabotT, but I don't want to drag that out for just doing step and bench areas, and some times it doesn't get the pieces anyway. We also have the triangular-head vacuum that works off the skimmer that he pb gave us. Again, too cumbersome with the long hose for just a few pieces of dirt.

I have seen the pool broom and pool buster on different sites, but wondering if anyone has first hand experience.

Thx.
    18x36 IG Vinyl Grecian Lazy L (20k gallons) ~ Whisperflo DS 2.0HP pump ~ QuadDE100 filter ~ Autopilot SWG DIG-60 ~ (7) 4x16 solar panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Small Cleaner for Step and Bench Areas

There ought to be some Pool Buster owners around here somewhere. That is the one I am always hearing good things about.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

A spa wand is a good option. I use mine on my upper step and swim ledge all the time (my cleaner can't get to those).
    Advantage is that it is powered by pumping it so you don't have to worry about recharging batteries and they cost a LOT less then a pool buster!
    It's powerful enough to suck up small rocks and even got the small shingle pieces out of both the pool and spa after my roof was redone last month!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not a fan of either the spa wand or the pool buster.

The pool buster doesn't suck well enough to easily pick up the fine dirt that collects on my steps. The spa wand is a lot of work and gets full of the pine needles I get in my spa very quickly. The buster doesn't pick those up either.

I need to ebay both of them.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman95
    I'm not a fan of either the spa wand or the pool buster.

The pool buster doesn't suck well enough to easily pick up the fine dirt that collects on my steps. The spa wand is a lot of work and gets full of the pine needles I get in my spa very quickly. The buster doesn't pick those up either.

I need to ebay both of them.
    So what DO you use?

6. Back To Top    #6

I brush the steps down into the pool and let the Polaris get it along with the main drain. The spa I just drain into the pool and hose down.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a Pool Buster Max that I use for my negative edge catch basin and spa. For my tanning ledge, benches, and steps I usually just brush them so that the dirt/leaves are picked up by the main drain or Polaris.

The Pool Buster comes with a standard bag that is fine for leaves. But, you can buy an addiitonal bag with a tighter weave that is great for nabbing dirt and pollen. Alternatively, I had luck using a skimmer sock in conjunction with the standard bag. I ended up getting the other bag for ease of cleaning.