Recommendation on pump, filtration and sanitizing systems

Mar 15, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Hello there. First timer here so plz be gentle.

I live in Phoenix, AZ and have a 18k gal IG pebbletech pool, sporting a Sta-Rite maxi glass pump and Tagelus TA-35(?) sand filter. The pump housing has pin hole leaks on the neck just below the line to the filter and the multiport valve on the filter leaks continually. Rather than replacing the leaking parts I thought I'd look into upgrading the entire system. I had my heart set on and Ecopump and Ecofilter with some sort of SWG system until I read the glowing reviews of the ecoproducts on this site;). I am curious though if any of those opinions have changed over time as the ones I read were quite old.

Regardless, I'd welcome practical suggestions on what setup would be best for my pool. I have know idea when the pool was built, but it seems to have been before auto-fill valves were invented, because. It has 1 drain, 1 skimmer and 1 inlet for a vacuum hose, and 1 return line. The plumbing to the pump is 2", then downsized to 1 1/2" to and from the filter and then upsized to 2" back to the pool.

Thanks,

Clif

Welcome, I don't have any first hand experience with the eco products. Given your location I would probably suggest some type of cartridge filter so as to minimize water loss from backwashing, and for a pump probably a 2 speed 1HP pump if you do not have any water features and if you have 240 electrical hook up (most 2 speed pumps are 240V only, where most less than 2 HP 1 speed pumps can be wired 120V or 240V). You seem to have a mid sized pool with no water features, so there are plenty of choices out there. And if I am not mistaken your region has somewhat reasonable electric rates, so no reason for the added up front expense of a variable speed pump to save a little electricity.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.