Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Patches in Northern NY

1. Back To Top    #1

Green Patches in Northern NY

New Member, I've done a lot of reading/learning over the past month+. I have not yet converted to the BBB method because I have a stockpile of supplies left from when I bought the house last year and from what the pool store told me I needed – ie (stabilized chlorine pucks, pH +/-, granular shock, etc……)

Bought the TF test kit, tested the levels, all seemed pretty good over the past month with the exception of an annoyingly high CYA level ~ 75-80 ppm (Stabilized chlorine pucks) which is causing me to keep my chlorine levels at +/-7 ppm. Thanks for all of the knowledge and help!

Now here’s my problem - After what seems like weeks of rain, I took off our solar cover Sunday morning and saw a few isolated green patches on the walls and bottom of our pool. Immediately vacuumed the areas to waste and tested the water. Pre-Shock test results:

pH – 7.4
    TA - 120
    FC – 4.5
    CC – 0.0
    CYA – 75-80 ppm
    CH – Did not test but has been in the 170 ppm range.
    Temp - 81

Shocked the pool last night with granular shock and made my first mistake of not testing the FC levels last night. However, this morning there was a noticeable amount of brown/milky solids which had settled overnight and some milky cloudiness to the water. I proceeded to test the chlorine levels and the results were

FC - 19 ppm
    CC – 0.5 ppm
    Temp - 78

Vacuumed the pool, went to work and tested the water during lunch

pH – 7.6
    FC – 14
    CC – 0.0
    Temp - 79

The pool is still a little cloudy but I guess this is to be expected.

Here’s the question

If the CC level is now zero, does this mean that the FC level is not strong enough to kill the growth, or does it mean that the growth has been killed off?

I’m sure there’s info that your missing so let me know and I will get it as soon as I can.
    Pool Type/Size: Inground Vinyl ~24,000 gal ~ 18' x 36'
    Filter Type: Pentair FNS Plus 36 - DE Filter
    Pump: Pentair Challenger - 1.5 hp
    Heater: Pentair Mastertemp 250K BTU
    Accessories: Hayward AquaRite SWG Controller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green Patches in Northern NY

The CC level doesn't really tell you anything.

To figure out if there is still any algae growing, test the FC level in the evening, test it again first thing in the morning, if the FC level remains the same, or is within 1.0, then the algae is dead.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Green Patches in Northern NY

Thats simple

thanks
    Pool Type/Size: Inground Vinyl ~24,000 gal ~ 18' x 36'
    Filter Type: Pentair FNS Plus 36 - DE Filter
    Pump: Pentair Challenger - 1.5 hp
    Heater: Pentair Mastertemp 250K BTU
    Accessories: Hayward AquaRite SWG Controller