Bleach Prices 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you test the strength? I've been searching all over and I couldn't find the strength of it anywhere. We just had an ollies open close by, they have the 12% liquid chlorine for 2.99 and bleach for . 99 cents . I bought some bleach to try out today when I get off work. If it's too weak to be cost effective, I'm going to go get some of the higher strength LC.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

The 3% was printed on the case markings not the bottles.

FYI - For those of us that have Dollar General stores nearby, pay attention to your receipts. I quite often get a $5 off $25 coupon on my receipts for the following week.

Just got a couple gallons of their house brand 120oz, 8.25% for $2.95. Heading back there tomorrow for 9 more:
9 x $2.95 = $26.55
$26.55 - $5 = $21.55
$21.55 / 9 = $2.3944444 each

Walmart, Dollar General, Family Dollar in my area all have 121oz, house brand, 8.25% all for around that $3 mark... I'd love to find it locally under the $2 mark!

I saw earlier in the thread questions about long term storage... I usually try to buy about 10 bottles at a time, but not keep it over winter. Can I keep it year to year? It stays in an outside shed....

FYI - For those of us that have Dollar General stores nearby, pay attention to your receipts. I quite often get a $5 off $25 coupon on my receipts for the following week.

Just got a couple gallons of their house brand 120oz, 8.25% for $2.95. Heading back there tomorrow for 9 more:
9 x $2.95 = $26.55
$26.55 - $5 = $21.55
$21.55 / 9 = $2.3944444 each

Walmart, Dollar General, Family Dollar in my area all have 121oz, house brand, 8.25% all for around that $3 mark... I'd love to find it locally under the $2 mark!

I saw earlier in the thread questions about long term storage... I usually try to buy about 10 bottles at a time, but not keep it over winter. Can I keep it year to year? It stays in an outside shed....

This is what I usually do, too - use my coupon to buy more of the store brand bleach. I don't have a good way to store large amounts, though. No basement and the garage warms right up in the summer. I usually end up storing it in the laundry room (not really enough room for all that bleach) and at my back door (which really adds to the decor). I have been afraid to leave it outside or in the garage because of the heat, but maybe it wouldn't matter so much?

Also, do you ever want to explain to people what you are doing with the bleach? I am convinced that the folks at dollar general think that I am doing something nefarious with all that bleach.

On this page there is detail on how fast bleach will degrade based on temperature: Chart Lower on Page. The half life of the bleach is dependent on temperature. If you kept 8.25% bleach for a year at an average of 75 degrees, it would likely be at about 4.125% after that time. This is assuming the bleach is mostly metals contaminant free, which could speed the breakdown process. However, if you kept it at 90 degrees for a year, you'd have about 1% bleach in the end.

Just curious if we KNOW the 121 oz bottle are actually 8.25%. I know the MSDS use to say 8.25%, now it says 5-10%.
http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/downloads/msds/bleach/cloroxregularbleach0809_.pdf

But the "Germicidal" says 8.25%, with a note: 95% of available chlorine is present in a NaOCl solution. Therefore, 8.25% NaOCl x 95% will give 7.84% available chlorine. When diluted 1:10, the final solution will have 0.784% of available chlorine.
http://www.cloroxprofessional.com/products/clorox-germicidal-bleach/faq/

Do we really know what we're buying?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know of any way to tell for sure what I'm buying other than to test the water.

I've always been a little suspicious that it's overstated since when I add the prescribed amount from the Pool Calculator, it never quite reaches the intended target...

I'm like Soupy - can't keep it more than a month or so without using it up!

As far as buying/stockpiling, in my area there are a lot of chicken farms (lower Delaware). They clerks always ask if it time to clean out the chicken houses or add to the pool! They say that the bulk buyers are mostly farmers. The stores around here usually keep a good 50-60 bottles on the shelf...

FYI for anybody with an Atwoods store in Oklahoma. I bought 2 cases 10% Pool Shock with 4 - 1gallon jugs @ $9.99 per case. This is 0.195 per oz.

Just curious if we KNOW the 121 oz bottle are actually 8.25%. I know the MSDS use to say 8.25%, now it says 5-10%.
http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/downloads/msds/bleach/cloroxregularbleach0809_.pdf

But the "Germicidal" says 8.25%, with a note: 95% of available chlorine is present in a NaOCl solution. Therefore, 8.25% NaOCl x 95% will give 7.84% available chlorine. When diluted 1:10, the final solution will have 0.784% of available chlorine.
http://www.cloroxprofessional.com/products/clorox-germicidal-bleach/faq/

Do we really know what we're buying?

1) Bleach loses strength over time. Faster if it is higher %, faster in the sun / high temp
2) PoolMath uses %NaOCl, not % available chlorine for calculations. % available chlorine is ALWAYS lower than %NaOCl.

EDIT: Can the mods please split this into its own thread? I think it's getting off-topic. Thanks.

Last edited:
PoolMath uses %NaOCl, not % available chlorine for calculations. % available chlorine is ALWAYS lower than %NaOCl.
Know that... just don't know what the real NaOCL is. 95% of 5-10% could be much less than I thought. I was plugging in 8% in pool math, I think I'll leave it at the 6% default. Feels closer to what's happening with FC.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hailing from Houston. All the big stores like Target, Walmart, HEB, etc have 121 oz 8.25% bleach jugs for $3.50, except the generic store brand goes for $2.99. They're all the same prices everywhere I go, except for Aldi's. Aldi's has the cheapest bleach on a per oz/% basis at $1.25 for 64 oz jugs of 8.25%. The only problem with Aldi's is that they only have 64 oz jugs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.