Valve Settings for Floor Drain + Vacuum + Skimmer

abrink

Mar 16, 2014
Orlando, FL
All -

First post here, the forum and pool school as been incredibly helpful. I've learned so much.

After purchasing a house with a pool, we had a local pool service company come out and do a check up on it. One of the things that the service guy said (and changed) was that because I have an automated cleaner, I should not have suction to the 2 floor drains. Based on my reading, I'm starting to question that recommendation. Can any of you comment?

I have attached a photo of the current valve setup. Note I also have a spa that overflows into the pool, if that matters.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

It likely does not matter if some of the suction is from the floor as long as the cleaner gets adequate suction. Although there are cases where certain cleaners will get stuck on the floor drain.

Add your cleaner model to your signature.

Welcome to TFP!

I agree that some floor drain suction is a good thing. In practice, you can't open the floor drains too far or you won't have enough suction for the cleaner. But even a little bit will help circulation and kept to just a little bit won't cause any problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.