New build - Roseville, CA

Tyronie

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 12, 2013
So long time listener, first time caller. We're about a week away from breaking ground on our new build (15,000 gal 28x20x15.5 geometric design)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395043523.160911.jpg

We're having some difficulty choosing a pump. Our builder is saying as we will have low demands (no spa, no solar yet, only water feature is a couple deck jets) that with our $.15/kw electric rates we should get the Pentair WhisperFlo 1/2hp WF-2. He didn't feel a variable speed pump would be cost efficient. Now if someone is trying to get me to give him less money who am I to argue. But, I still fear raising rates or increased demands (like maybe I'm cold and need solar panels slapped on the house). Or maybe some laminars fall off the back of a truck...

Anyway, any thoughts?
Thanks!

Re: New build - Roseville, CA - need a pump

Welcome to TFP.

The pump he suggested will work fine with your pool. It's refreshing to see a builder that doesn't go overboard on pump size. However, if your electric rate is high and you think you may want additional features in the future a variable speed pump may be a good choice.

Thanks, probably will just go with the 1/2 hp pump for now and maybe a booster in the future if we decide we want solar.

Just re-confirmed dig starts on Monday! :D

Alright thanks to some great neighbors we have day 1 of excavation done!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395721961.755346.jpg

Planning to finish digging tomorrow before that rarified California rain hits.

So day two, finished excavation which brings us to the fun of day 3. Our neighbor was gracious enough to let us invade their yard for a couple of days for excavation but understandably (they have a dog and company) wanted the fences up and side yards put back together ASAP. Since they finished digging around noon I figured they were off to lunch before putting the fences up. We talked to the PB last night and he said he'd see what he could do, but today it rained and no one works in the rain.

So I took it upon myself to rebuild, and lucky me! So the post hole where one section of fence seemed to became so compacted with our crummy dirt (though it's more of a clay concrete combo) after a bobcat traversing it for two days that it took a pickaxe and several hours to get down a couple feet. But then I started digging around in the area of where the post should go and found a much easier location. Silly me what production home builder would ever build a fence in a straight line, if I'd thought like them this would have been done hours earlier. Then the sections don't line up quite right either, but again shouldn't have used a level when setting the post. So after several hours I get all of the fences put together again.

But then as the rain starts picking up (yes I got to do this all in the rain), there's a tornado warning??? So as I hurriedly try to replant their side yard in the now pouring hail a neighbor across the street yells out that he can see the funnel cloud coming toward us. Fortunately I was just finishing reconnecting their drip system. No touch downs in our area. Heck, the downpours even washed away the dirt on the sidewalks and street.

Now we can get back the fun stuff of somebody else doing all the work :)

photo.jpg

So we have this drought in California, but since the dig it's rained every other day. Not that I'm complaining, we can certainly use the water.

Besides now the pool is partially filled. Maybe with this hard ground holding the rainwater like this our pool will never leak. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396311416.105157.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.