New owner- pump/filter help

Jun 6, 2010
Central Indiana
Just purchased a new home with a 24 round above ground pool and have lots of questions starting with the pump/filter.

It came with a Hayward power flo matrix sp1592 1 hp pump (doesn't list gpm.). Is this a good pump? Is it an appropriate size? How many hours per day should it be ran?

It also came with a cartridge filter set up of unknown brand. Should I stay with a cartridge filter or is a sand filter better? I've included a picture do the label from the filter unit but don't know anything else about it. It is about 3 feet tall. The cartridge inside of it is a pleatco pure pa100n and looks like it needs replaced. Is this a good filter for my pool or should I replace it instead of just order a new cartridge for it?

We live in central indiana. I will add this to my profile.

Thanks

Re: New owner

Welcome, and to try to answer your questions, this is a typical 1HP 1 speed above ground pool pump, the size should be about right for your pool, but it is not the most power economic option, how bad that is depends on where you live and how much electricity cost there. (please fill out your location in your profile, it helps us give you better advice). I don't have much first hand experience with cartridge filters, but if appropriately sized they can work as well as sand filters, sometimes better. Have you tried cleaning your filters, why do you say they look like they need to be replaced, are the torn, visibly worn, etc? Hours of pump run time will vary from pool to pool, there is no set answer, once you get everything balanced and clear start with something like 10 hours per day, reduce it by an hour every few days until you start having water clarity problems, then bump it back up some. (note it is important to do regular testing and chemical additions during this process so you know the clarity is related to filtration and not something trying to start growing in the pool).

Ike

I said the filter might need replaced because of how nasty if looked when I opened it up to get the model number off of it. I don't know, maybe it can be cleaned enough to reuse.

Looking in the shed we also have a model s180t sand filter. I forgot that the previous owner has said he had tried both types. So which should I plan on using?

I would tend to stick with the cartridge for now since it is hooked up, and you don't know if the laterals might have been damaged on the sand filter while moving it, etc.

Ike

Cleaning should usually be done when you pressure increases by about 20% above whatever the clean filter pressure is. As to replacement I will leave that to others with more first hand experience.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.