May 26, 2008
New City, NY
Testing done by Leslies.

PH 7.8
Free Available Chlorine 0
Total Available Chlorine 0
Total Alkalinity 100
CYA 0

Ordered 12lbs of Cyanuric Acid from an online store should be here tomorrow.

Bought 1 174 oz and 2 96 oz store brand clorox.

1) After treating with Cyanuric Acid how long should I wait before using the clorox.?

2) Should I use all the Cya acid at once

3) Should I use all the clorox at once

There is little bit algae on the floor

25x50 Vinyl inground ~ 45000 gallons. Sand Filter.
Sun is directly on the pool until 4.30 pm.
Live in New York

Thank you all in advance for your help.

If the water is basically clear and there are just small spots of algae, you should start adding chlorine right now. Add 5 ppm of chlorine, about 3 1/2 gallons, of 6% bleach, each evening until the CYA has been in for 24 hours. Once the CYA has started to dissolve, switch to measuring the FC level and adding enough chlorine to bring FC up to about 6 (enough so FC is at least 3 the next evening). For the first three days, about half an hour after adding the bleach, brush the entire pool.

I calculate that you will want about 15 lbs of CYA total, but you don't want to add it all at once. Adding 12 lbs is a good amount to start with, wait a week and then test the CYA level and adjust from there.

If the water is cloudy or murky, I would try a totally different approach. Add about 8 lbs of CYA, wait 24 hours with the pump running, then start shocking to a FC level of 11, which would be about 8 gallons of 6% bleach to start and plenty more soon afterwards.

JThomas said:
how long does it take for the CYA acid to disslolve.? is there an easier way to dissolve the CYA. Thanks.

Allow a week before you retest. It may disappear more quickly, but it doesn't get fully dissolved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.