Do I Need a New Pump?

Jan 22, 2014
I'm new to the forum...and need some advice about changing out my pump. I have only one pump that I believe is about 23 years old. It is not too loud and seems to be working ok, but electricity in Palm Springs is very high and I seem to be constantly going into the highest price Tier in the summer which is $.32 kWh. I'm wondering if changing out my pump for a variable speed pump would be worth the expense. My current pump is a 2H and seems to use over 400kWh a month in the summer.

Welcome to tfp, db_blazer :wave:

Do you have any high volume water features (spa jets, fountains, etc.)?

Most likely at your electric rate you can payback a vs pump in a reasonable time. In addition, I think cali has a rebate on some vs pumps to help offset some of the cost.

Another option would be to replace your current pumps motor with a 2-speed and run on low when you are just circulating pool water.

That pump is a 2hp full-rated and moves quite a bit of water, which is good for your jet action on the spa. My guess is that a vs pump such as the pentair intelliflo vs, will payback fast enough (assuming there is a rebate from the utility company) such that that is a better option then replacing the existing pumps motor with a 2-speed motor. The a.o. smith B2984 motor would work for your pool, but I am not seeing it for less than $400 online plus needing a seal-kit. The Intelliflo vs can be had for ~$850 online, and couple that with the rebate, the vs starts looking pretty good although you might have to redo some plumbing to make it fit (not sure on this).

db_blazer said:
I'm seeing the Intelliflo pump is a 3HP....I currently have 2HP....Couldn't this cause a problem with the plumbing? I'm thinking that it is too powerful...
The intelleflo will move more water when at it's highest speed, but you likely won't/shouldn't run it that speed....remember it is a variable speed pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.