New to the forum & a 1yr. old salt pool, need a little help

Re: New to the forum & a 1yr. old salt pool, need a little h

Yeah that 4.04 earlier entry was supposed to be 4.0.

Ok so from all that I've read on TFP if I maintain FC 3-5 and CC 0.5 (or lower) I'm good to go.

So all in all my numbers are good. Yeah! Finally.

martinspool said:
Ok so from all that I've read on TFP if I maintain FC 3-5 and CC 0.5 (or lower) I'm good to go.
Well not exactly. The key is to never let the FC go below the minimum based on your CYA level in the FC/CYA Chart. So as long as you keep it ABOVE 3-4ppm with your SWG you should be fine.

Yep I got it.

Now over time I'm just going to have to learn my pool, the SWG % amount, sun etc. etc. to maintain those values. And if I run into trouble with low FC I can always add a little bleach to get it up some in the meantime.

I know I'm going to have other questions in the future so you'll be hearing from me again but in the mean time,

[center:3tidg5jp]THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH
AND
MERRY CHRISTMAS[/center:3tidg5jp]

Hey guys I told you I'd probably be back soon. All of my numbers look great now but this morning I decided to use the Salt test strip & see what it says vs my SWG control panel. If you remember back when I was diluting my pool last week of course I lost a lot of my salt. Once everything stabilized I added 4 bags of softener salt to get that level back up. My SWG says that my salt reading is 3600 now but the salt strips I received with my LT-100 kit earlier this week only got yellow up to the number 2 which is 200. I left it in a glass of pool water for 9 minutes. What's up with with this?

Well what the SWG thinks is all that matters. I have no experience with the test strips, so not sure how they work.

Ok thanks for that salt comment.

Bare with me here, I have another question cause I'm still trying to get my arms around maintaining the chlorine levels.
Yesterday I tested everything again and it all looked good but my FC was 4.5, CC was 0.5 and my CYA was 80. So I looked at the Chlorine/CYA chart and according to that my min. chlorine was to be 5.8 and my target FC was to be 9.1.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/chlorine-cya-chart-t2346.html
So I added some bleach according to pool calc and let my pump run on low all night and this morning my FC was 9.5 and CC was still 0.5.

Now that I look at this closer that was the wrong chart for my SWG pool isn't it?
I should of stayed with this chart:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

But the reason I'm still somewhat confused about this is because on the recommended Levels page it says with a plaster pool, SWG, CYA of 70-80 my FC range should be 3-5
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/recommended_levels

Now I did see this also after the fact: (whoops)
Most saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) pools appear to prevent algae at a minimum FC level of 4.5% of the CYA level as compared with the roughly 7.5% of the CYA level shown in the "Min FC" column for manually dosed pools.

So it looks like when I used the pool calc last night that additional chlorine it recommended to get me up to the 9.1 FC level was for a none SWG pool and I was looking at the wrong chart. So if you have a SWG pool maintaining a FC of 3-5 or 4.5% of your CYA is what I'm supposed to be going by.

Is that right?

Now remember I just recently turned my SWG back on to 10% sand that was just 2 days ago after all the work I've done over the past week and half. So that really hasn't much effect on all this.

So it looks like I screwed up and overdosed my pool now (dog gone it) and have to high of a FC level of 9.1. I have turned my SWG back off.

So in conclusion I guess my questions are:
1) So if my CYA is 80 that means I guess my Target FC should be 6 so what do I do now if anything with a FC of 9.1 ?
2) If my FC is way to high can I use some "Chlor Neutralizer" from Leslie's to bring it back down?

Can't wait to get all this figured out. JEEZE...

Your FC is fine. Yes it is higher than needed for a SWG pool, but there is nothing dangerous or anything. Just let it slowly drift down.

The chart in Pool School should match the numbers from PoolMath.

Welcome! You have a beautiful pool.

Just following on to what jblizzle posted, pool water with FC at SLAM (shock) level based on your CYA is safe for your pool and equipment. FC level below SLAM (shock) level is safe to swim in. So, you're fine; no harm done except the cost of that bit of extra bleach you added.

Just let the FC drift down and then turn your SWG back on. Merry Christmas!

I have a question about pool math calc.

I attached a screen capture of my current pool calc numbers.

I don't understand this CSI at all. If you look at all my numbers above they are all perfect for my pool yet my CSI is -0.41 and according to the notes there it says less than -0.6 suggests plaster problems.

Can someone please help me understand CSI more, what effects it most and why with perfect test numbers I still show possible plaster problems?

I'm confused.

Attachments

• sample-pool-math.jpg
    sample-pool-math.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 28

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You're ok. Your CSI is negative. A -0.41 is greater than -0.6. It is not suggestive of problems for your pool.

It's easiest to concentrate on keeping your other numbers in range which lets you simplify and ignore CSI. With the other numbers in range, you won't have plaster issues.

CSI is useful if for some reason you go out of range on something else (some areas have hard water and folks are left managing higher CH numbers, for instance). You don't have that concern, so just ignore it.

I'm using the LT-100 kit.
When I'm testing for TA the last step where you wipe the bottle tip before each drop until your water turns red….
My question is the turning red part.
Does turning red mean kind of a rich pink (does that count as red) OR go ahead and add the one more drop to get a rich red?
The difference of course is a factor of 10 in my TA.

I assume you mean the TF-100?

Drop until there is no more color change, then one more to be sure. If that last drop doesn't change the color, subtract it from the test and multiply as usual.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.