Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rust Stains?

1. Back To Top    #1
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

Rust Stains?

Hi All:

In the past few weeks, while doing deck, and then finally staining it, I am noticing what can only be described as rust stains on my steps and in parts of my skimmer. Its identical to a rust stain on a car, I tried to take a few pics, but with the sun and white background all you can see is a blur. Anyway, here are two pics. Could this possibly be some of the stain that has settled?

Anyone know what the heck this is, and how to treat it. Pool Store sold me some Stain Free which I tried tonite, but it didnt work

Short of rubbing till ones hand is dead, which will remove this stain, anyone have a shorter less tiresome route?

Thanks again all of you.

Rik
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2
    Try rubbing it with a puck... if it goes away, it is organic and will clear with bleach.
    Also rub it with Vit. C... if it goes away you have a metal stain, and the Stain Nazi (mbar) (or someone else) can further advise you!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

I should mention I am running a SWG and dont want to use pucks at all, I tried the Vit C trick, it didnt work.

I have some more stuff from PB to try here today, shall let all know how it works.

Rik

4. Back To Top    #4
    I can understand that you do not want to intoduce anything into the pool that is not necessary. I can't tell how deep in the water the stains are but a little dab of CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust remover) does wonders for stains. The problem will be the water diluting the concentration. You could try it on a sponge and work fast. Good Luck.
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by pooladdict
    I should mention I am running a SWG and dont want to use pucks at all, I tried the Vit C trick, it didnt work.
    Don't worry, one puck won't hurt anything.... BTW, Stain Free is ascorbic acid (vitamin C).
    I have found that small "rust like" stains can at least be lightened by dumping acidic water directly on them. I have successfully done this on a friends fiberglass steps by mixing 2 cups muratic to about 3 gallons of water. We poured the mixture right on the spot (with pump off) then scrubbed vigorously& immediately with a brush until it disappeared (about a minute). Turned pump back on, stirred up water to disperse the acidic concentration, then balanced pH. The stain was on the second step and his pH was on the high side to begin with as he also is running a SWG.

Dave