Pool plumbing under or beside the pool

I am by no means a plumbing expert, but I am guessing issues in plumbing under a pool are extremely rare. Drain plumbing is run under the pool on every pool built by any builder. In-floor cleaning systems all have plumbing run under the pool. Plumbing is run under house foundations in most houses built on a slab.

You also have to keep in mind that this particular PB uses heat bending on their pipes, so they won't have the issue of leaks at pipe joints. Pros/cons of heat bending pipes is a whole other topic to discuss ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any plumber that does not heat bend will try and tell you heat bending weakens the pipe. They will also try and tell you heat bending is a quicker process and this is why they do it - to save on labor. Both statements simply aren't accurate.

I can tell you I went and jumped up and down on my heat blended pipes and even tried to pierce them with a sharp shovel. The schedule 40 PVC is thick and very difficult to pierce.

If you talk to any pool builder who has dealt with leaks, 90% of the time the failure occurs at a 90 degree elbow.

Any glue joint is susceptible to leaks. A bell end 20' section glued properly is less susceptible than a sch40 fitting glued to a pipe. Heat bent is preferred for flow reasons as much as anything. To me having the plumbing buried in the gunite is a bad decision. I have never in 30 plus years in this industry ever heard or seen a builder do this. They may build 600 pools a year but how long have they been doing it. Do they have 30-40,000 pools built this way or 600. Proof is in the pudding. If they have only been doing this for a year or two problems aren't most likely going to be found for a couple more years.

swimcmp said:
To me having the plumbing buried in the gunite is a bad decision. I have never in 30 plus years in this industry ever heard or seen a builder do this. They may build 600 pools a year but how long have they been doing it.

I don't think the plumbing is buried in the gunite ... just routed under the pool (below the gunite). I believe they have been doing plumbing this way for the last 4-5 years (of their 30+ years in business).

No way, in my opinion, would I would I have any plumbing under my pool except what was absolutely necessary (main drain). I feel the potential down side is greater than the upside. If I had to do it again I would have all my plumbing far enough away from the edge of the pool so I could dig it up without having to cut thru my deck. This way only the pipe under the pool deck would be those feeding the return jets and the skimmer line. If you had 3 returns and 1 skimmer that would mean only 4 pipes that extend under the decking.

jasonknox said:
No way, in my opinion, would I would I have any plumbing under my pool except what was absolutely necessary (main drain). I feel the potential down side is greater than the upside. If I had to do it again I would have all my plumbing far enough away from the edge of the pool so I could dig it up without having to cut thru my deck. This way only the pipe under the pool deck would be those feeding the return jets and the skimmer line. If you had 3 returns and 1 skimmer that would mean only 4 pipes that extend under the decking.

Are you saying this because you had an issue with pipes under the deck, or just to be on the safe side in case something like this happens?

My take...

This discussion is interesting because it seems to forget all the plumbing for every attached spa I've seen built here. The plumbing for them is all encased in gunite. The number of horror stories related to that process hardly seems overwhelming. Additionally, unless I'm missing something, should there be a leak in plumbing that is under the pool, you wouldn't cut through the pool to fix it anyway, you would cut through whatever decking you have and trench to the equipment to replace it. Although not ideal, it is certainly not akin to cutting trenches through your gunite shell.

Is it the option I would choose if I had a choice? No. Would I let it give me a heart attack worrying about? No.

As a side note, when they plumbed my pool, the suction and return lines were run along the pool walls and were in fact, encased in the gunite shell. Thankfully I don't feel taken advantage of because they did that. Honestly, it didn't even cross my mind. (Maybe it's just that misery loves company and I'm too embarrassed to admit that!) See picture below.

Not a deal-breaker for me. But the decision is easy in that, if it is going to worry you excessively, pay the PB extra to go around or use someone else. Just remember, that if you pay the PB to go around, make sure you are there when the sub does the plumbing, because odds are, they will plumb it under the pool...because "that's the way this PB does all his pools". :)

[attachment=0:h2v2afuq]IMG_6436-TFP.jpg[/attachment:h2v2afuq]

Attachments

• IMG_6436-TFP.jpg
    IMG_6436-TFP.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 52

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bhargraves said:
jasonknox said:

Are you saying this because you had an issue with pipes under the deck, or just to be on the safe side in case something like this happens?

Both, I did have issues and this prompted me to think of how I could have plumbed to avoided them or minimize there affect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.