First SLAM - finished at last!

Re: First SLAM

Good work so far. Since your pool is pretty clear, there is likely very little in the bulk pool water except the visible algae you see. I bring this up now because you are going to see very small FC drops during this process, but do not stop SLAMing until the visible algae is gone and you pass the overnight loss test. I'm trying to plant the seed of perseverance now so that frustration doesn't derail the process later. Keep scrubbing!

Thanks for the encouragement to persevere. Just checked the filter pressure and it has risen to 15 (from 13 when we started this process), so something is happening.

Other encouragement is that one patch of visible algae disappeared already, the one under the slide. It was a little tinged with yellow; does that mean it was mustard algae?

The blackish patch near where the water returns from the filter is flaking off when we scrub it now, so that feels like progress!

The two large symmetrical patches aren't budging at all. I'm wondering if they aren't algae at all but maybe a patch job from where a long-gone ladder attached or something? This is in the deep end fairly close to the diving board. Take a look at the pic and let me know what you think:
DSC09442.JPG

The biggest spot in the middle of the pool floor seems to be fading as well. The other small pencil spots near it aren't necessarily changing though so I also wonder about the composition of those if they are algae or another type of staining...

One More Question: how would the presence of leaves or insects affect the OCLT? We frequently have wind overnight (which blows in yew needles from nearby trees) and a few days ago I woke up to hundreds/thousands of little four-winged insects dead in the pool.

First SLAM

Back wash your filter when pressure gets to 16.
Those spots could be from a ladder. Does any of the black come off when you brush ?
For the OCLT I would try to get as much of anything organic out of the water. I don't think your quite ready to pass the OCLT yet but if you want to try it go ahead. Otherwise your doing a fine job and keep at it. She'll come around.

Re- the possible ladder-patch spots: Nothing comes off at all, and the texture looks different than the other spots. The fact that they are so big, so aligned and almost identical to one another really makes me think it's not algae. Not sure what they feel like; they are a little too deep to touch from the side of the pool, even for my 6'2" husband, who almost fell in trying!

So how will I know it's time to try the OCLT again?

You still have some visible algae. Keep brushing the snot out of those spots and when their gone you should be ready. The black algae is tuff stuff. Give it another day and see what things look like.
Like I said before it's a marathon not a sprint. You'll win the war !

7:30 test results: FC still holding pretty steady, down just a hair to 22. Added 2 quarts, 6 ounces of 12.5% to get level up to 25. This will be the last time I add chlorine today.

My energy-conscious husband is wondering if we still need to run the pump/filter/sweep 24/7 if the water is pretty clear and we're just working on the few spots?

Yes, unfortunately. Anytime you SLAM, the pump should run until you are finished with the entire process. Stopping short of this
is where it turns back around on you. That said, if it is Black Algae it won't be much benefit to do so. Concentrate on those spots if all the SLAM criteria have been passed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The two large symmetrical patches aren't budging at all. I'm wondering if they aren't algae at all but maybe a patch job from where a long-gone ladder attached or something? This is in the deep end fairly close to the diving board. Take a look at the pic and let me know what you think:
Those don't look like black algae to me. I suggest you test those stains for metals. You can crush some cheap vitamin C tabs in a sock and hold the sock (use a long pole) on the stains for a minute or two and see if it lightens.

FC down to 16.5 this morning at 7:00.

Added 2 gallons of 10%.

After doing some more reading here, decided to scrub out the skimmer opening. There was some blackish staining right at the water line that scrubbed off easily with my wire brush.

I will try to find Vitamin C tablets today if I get a chance to run errands.

Re: First SLAM - PROGRESS PICTURES!!

The pool is looking so pretty today!

I think I'm actually seeing some sparkle!
DSC09504.JPG

Some pictures of the progress:
The south end of shallow end steps 11-22
DSC09439.JPG

The south end of shallow end steps 11-25
DSC09506.JPG

Area under the slide 11-22:
DSC09448.JPG

Area under the slide 11-25:
DSC09507.JPG

Spot near water return 11-22:
DSC09443.JPG

Spot near water return 11-25:
DSC09509.JPG

"Ladder" spots? 11-22:
DSC09442.JPG

"Ladder" spots? 11-25:
DSC09511.JPG

Spot on floor of pool 11-22:
DSC09449.JPG

Spot on floor of pool 11-25:
DSC09512.JPG

Spots on wall 11-22:
DSC09444.JPG

Spots on wall 11-25:
DSC09510.JPG

Re: First SLAM - added 11-25 progress pics!!

Last night at 7:15 when I tested the water for the last time of the day, FC was 26.

This morning at 9:00 a.m. I did the first test of the day and FC was 22.

So still losing chlorine overnight, but not as much...

Re: First SLAM - feeling weary

So the holiday interrupted a bit and I didn't get to the pool much Wednesday or yesterday. FC levels didn't dip below 18.

Today the filter needs to be backwashed (actually, we were at 16 psi yesterday morning --up from clean level of 13 -- and it's 17 psi today but we were away from the house all day celebrating yesterday so it didn't happen).

To be honest, I'm a little weary of this process, and I'm not sure how much longer we can afford to continue in terms of the electric bill, extra chlorine, etc.

I know black algae will take a while to defeat but wonder if there is an intermediate level I can drop down to vs. full SLAMming.

I'd like not to run the filter 24/7. I'd like to keep the chlorine level high but not necessarily at SLAM levels. I'd like to keep up with the brushing two or three times per day.

Would that yield any results (albeit more slowly?) or is it a foolhardy course?

Re: First SLAM - growing weary...

I think you're at a point where you can cut the pump run time to "normal." Let the FC fall, but I'd try to keep it above the high end of normal. Maybe halfway between the top of the range and SLAM level. This will work a little more slowly, but will still work on those organic stains. Finally, religiously brush those black algae spots several times per day. The constant agitation plus the higher than normal FC will continue to eat away at them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.