SHOOT ME! I Got a HOT TUB!!!!

Oct 10, 2011
I have to say I'm sorry in advance but I could not resist. I hope you all can help get through this obsession! I have wanted a hot tub for a long time and I ran across this unit for freeeeee! Well it cost me $300 to get it moved to my house. That is not free. And I think that there is more to come that is not free. In fact I already know there is more because one of the pumps came to me in disreputable condition. The spa has two 4 hp pumps and another smaller mister system pump. It has a lot of accessories that I don't know if they work or not. This spa was free! But we all know that FREEEEEE is not free. I hope I discover that the spa is as described and has only one bad pump.

So to the problem at hand. The pump that does not work. I have the pump taken apart and I find that the bearings are good, which I thought were the problem. The motor shaft turned very hard and I assumed that that was a bearing problem. But when I took the thing apart I found a hard sleeve had been installed on the shaft that I do not think is part of the original set up. I can not find this plastic sleeve that I found disintegrating on the shaft and causing the rotor to bind and cause the motor problems simulating a bearing failure. The bearings appear to be fine! Once I removed the failing sleeve material the motor turned free and the bearings seemed fine. So here is my problem. I have a shaft that the impeller screws down on all the way and the shaft bearing seems good. I do not see the plastic sleeve on the diagram of the wet end of the pump. So I do not know if someone did a bogus repair on this pump and inserted a sleeve where none was required and it subsequently caused the pump to seize. When I removed the wet end impeller and took this disintegrating plastic sleeve off the shaft the bearings were free and all seemed fine. The problem is that I don't think that this sleeve is required and was placed in the pump on a previous repair job for no good reason. So can anyone tell me if my suspension is correct? Is this a part that should not be here?

Just so you have all the info on this I will provide you with the specs of the motor. Its a Magnetek motor. 4hp - 230 volt - part 18877624 - model # pf-40-1N22C - Frame 56Y - 3450 rpm . Here is the diagram of the wet end of the pump I have. http://www.aqua-man.com/schematic.asp?kc=S1939 As you can see there is no sleeve in front of the # 10 slinger part which is what I found when I took the pump apart. The slinger part was there but the additional sleeve in front of the slinger was the problem. It was pushed out from the corrision of the shaft causing the shaft to bind. I appears to me that the sleeve is unnecessary and was installed in a previous repair by someone who was just wrong and added it unnecessarily. I would appreciate anyone who is familiar with this pump to chime in with any wisdom they may have. Thanks!

Hi Bama. Yes the slinger is in tact as the picture shows. The hard plastic sleeve appeared to be a separate part all together though it was broken into multiple pieces from the corrosion of the steel shaft beneath it expanding and eventually causing it to bind inside the seal. It just does not seem to be a necessary part to me. The spa has two of these pumps the other one being a 2 speed but otherwise identical to this one. I think I need to look at it to see if it also has the additional sleeve. It needs checked anyway I suppose.

I took the other pump apart and had the same problem with it and it also had had the sleeve put on it as well just like the other one. This one also had shaft degradation and the wet end bearing was frozen. I have yet to get it off but I had to cut the seal off that had the housing wedged on so tight it would not budge. What to do from here? I guess a bearing is in order and both seals and see what happens from there. Any suggestions?

Bamma thanks for all your help! I finally figured out what the plastic sleeve was that seemed out of place. It was indeed the tail piece of the impeller that was trapped between the swelling corrosion of the shaft and the seal on the vallout of the wet end. anyway I read that it is a common problem since most pumps do not have a stainless shaft and all seem to leak sooner rather than later. I have not powered up the pumps yet since replacing the seals and bearings due to the bad weather we have been having. Anywho I decided to take the advice of someone on another thread that had this problem over and over again with his spa pumps over the years. He descales the shaft and treates the shaft with a primer and paints it and then uses a shrink wrap tube. The idea here is to give the shaft some degree of resistance to further rusting when the next mechanical seal fails which seems inevitable. This can limit the damage that needs repair to the seal and not the entire pump. Someone stated that the water chemistry being off was what caused the mechanical seal failures in the first place and subsequently the shaft disintegration after the seal failure. I don't know the truth in that but it seems likely. At any rate I can see how many end up paying for new $400 pumps as all the pool places want to do here is sell you a new one when a couple of $5 bearings and a seal would do. Well be that as it may since we do live in a disposable world these days. I just thought this may help someone understand what is going on with their tub when the pumps stop working and making noise and leaking. Here is to all having a Great Thanksgiving Holiday and me not getting taken to school on any other hot tub repairs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.