AquaLogic 2 speed pump problem

CasaD

Nov 9, 2013
Our original 1 speed pump died, so I replaced it with a new 2 speed (specifically, a SP1615Z2MC - a Century 1081), rewired the AquaLogic PS8 panel to use the free Aux4 relay for the low speed (per the install guide), and reprogrammed the AquaLogic (rev 2.32) system to use the new 2 speed pump, setting pump filter to 2 speed and Aux4 to low speed, etc. All seemed to go well, but when starting the system, it starts the pump on high, then after the 3 minute prime period, the panel switches to low speed and the pump stops (system seems to think the pump is running on low speed even though the pump is idle).

It's hard to tell from the pics, so for reference the following will assume the terminals on the relays are A,B,C,D from left to right.

The original wiring on the panel seemed a bit screwy to me...note the red tape on on the L2 main feed, and that the lower pole of the dual breaker is wired to terminal C of the Filter Pump Relay(FPR) instead of A; and the top pole of the breaker is wired to terminal A of the FPR instead of C. However, the system has been working for years, so I just followed they way the terminals were wired when wiring the new Aux4 Relay (A4R) and motor.

Also for reference:

- The original single speed motor was wired from the FPR to the motor as follows:
FPR B -> L1 on the motor
FPR D -> L2 on the motor

- I've attached 2 pics of the panel, the original, and the rewired panel using A4R.

- The new wiring with the A4R included is as follows (pics wiring may be hard to follow):
FPR A -> A4R A
FPR B -> A4R B
FPR C -> A4R C

FPR B -> L1 on 2 speed motor
FPR D -> L2 on 2 speed motor (center post, labeled as high speed)
A4R D -> L2 on 2 speed motor (bottom post, labeled as low speed)

Any insights would be most appreciated. Also, when programming the configuration of the Aux4 relay in the AquaLogic, the Function is set to Low Speed Filter, however I noted that it still provided the Interlock Enable/Disable option... which the manual said should not be available when set to Low Speed Filter. I left it Enabled, perhaps something's wrong with the programming?

Attachments

• AquaLogic orig wiring-50.jpg
    AquaLogic orig wiring-50.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Panel rewired-50.jpg
    Panel rewired-50.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 26
Ugh... nevermind, figured it out... was a problem with the config settings in the AquaLogic unit. Everything was set properly, but for some reason it was periodically reseting the Aux4 settings... just not saving the configs properly. I had to set it three times in a row before it "stuck". It's old and flaky and will likely be replaced soon. Regardless, I'll leave the thread in case someone else finds it useful in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.