Adding Lights after shell

Jul 27, 2013
Has anyone ever added a light after the pool shell was already shot? Is this possible? I feel like im not sure if I made the right decisions on pool lighting and unfortunately this thought came to me after the shell is already shot. I figured they can drill and hole and seal around it or something, but I'd like to know if anyone has ever done this before talking to my builder. Thanks

How old is your shell?

I wouldn't want to do anything to your shell until it has cured for 30 days.

Most lights require a light niche. Once the shell is cured your pool builder could, in theory, chip out a light niche wherever you desire. He would then drill to the outside of the shell for conduit.

Problems with this approach: Your shell is gunite shot over a rebar structure. You want to keep all the rebar encased in gunite . Exposing any rebar to water or air could lead to rust permeating the rebar. Rust travels up the rebar from the exposed location. Many PB are going to be wary about chipping a light niche into a pool wall for this reason. You can do it, you just want to have your plan in place as to how you are doing it. Depending on your pool design there could be structural issues as well.

There are alternatives. One is Pentair's Globrite. It is designed for shallow water but you can put it anywhere. Several of those might do exactly what you want. They don't require a light niche per say only a 2" pvc sleeve. Look here: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/620053.C.pdf. A two inch pvc pipe is a lot easier to install than chipping out a larger niche.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.