Hi from Atlanta GA! Bought a Foreclosure /w pool questions

Re: Hi from Atlanta GA! Bought a Foreclosure /w pool questi

Well, pool store testing is not very accurate and as you said, you have not control now anyway. So, may as well deal with it in the spring.

After it is winterized, you will not be able to get a good test because the water will not be circulating.

Forgot to mention that the pool inspector suggested I replace the sand in my filter. Without knowing the history on the filter he said it weoukd be best to start fresh in the spring after the pool has been reopened....for the small charge of $199.....not including the specially formulated sand for my filter.....I don't know how old the sand filter is, would you guys concur replacing the sand? If so, what do you guys think of

http://www.amazon.com/Arch-Chemical-613 ... ilter+sand

Or

http://www.amazon.com/ZeoSand-Filter-Fi ... ilter+sand

He is also saying my super pump is on its last legs and needs to be replaced.

I was looking and the one that Jason has on his Sig sounds like a winner to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-340042-St ... speed+pump

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

jblizzle said:
That sand filter will work fine, it will just require backwashing more often than would be required with a larger filter. Now if you had a larger pump for a spa or something running through the filter, then the higher desired flow rates would be another reason to consider a larger filter (but this is not true in this case).

BTW the inspector suggested to backwash for about 1-2 min until the site glass is clear every week. Is that too excessive?

Only need to backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

There is hardly ever a need to change the sand, they just want your money. Open up the filter and inspect the sand, if it is not solidified, it is fine. You should clean it every year or so by running a hose gently down through the sand and let all the gunk flow up and out.

Only need to backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

There is hardly ever a need to change the sand, they just want your money. Open up the filter and inspect the sand, if it is not solidified, it is fine. You should clean it every year or so by running a hose gently down through the sand and let all the gunk flow up and out.

You don't say where you live but you can get glycerin filled gauges which are freeze proof down to -13F and are a bigger gauge with better resolution on the dial. You only need one that goes to 30 psi....not 60.

THANK you guys!!! I'll order the one Jblizzle mentioned when I get my new water test kit. Just waiting for things to warm up before reopening the pool hehe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Maybe not too much of a time saver, but certainly easier and makes the testing a little more accurate because the water is constantly stirred.

Wait until you are in the SLAM process some time and having to maintain 20-30 ppm FC which requires 40-60 drops while constantly stirring at least twice a day :lol:

Also the CH test can be a little finicky if not stirring enough.

Are skimmer baskets somewhat universal? I just went outside and my skimmer cover...bucket thing....sorry, not using the right words here, looks to be cylindrical in depth, about oh...10in or so in diameter, depth is about 8-10in or so.

I was going to order from this website, but not sure do I need to get a specific basket?

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/search.h ... et&x=0&y=0

While they make somewhat universal skimmer baskets, It's best to get one made specifically for your skimmer. Do you know what brand skimmer you have?

No idea, its built into the ground with only the access port. I looked inside as well as into the square area that skims the water, I couldnt find or see (i wear glasses for a reason lol) any brand/sku/markings to indicate what :(

It's frustrating that they don't put at least some type of identifier, but a lot of them don't.

I'd measure the existing basket and call the guys at PSW (Pool Supply World) and they can probably tell you exactly what you need.