Typical Life of Pool Equipment?

Oct 5, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
18 months ago I bought a house with an in-ground vinyl pool built in 1967. The liner was replaced in 2006 -- I imagine this is the fifth or sixth liner in this pool. The filter and pump seem to be about 10 years old. It looks like all the plumbing was replaced at the same time the new pump and filter were installed.

How long do the steel walls of a vinyl pool typically last? I'm concerned that after 40 years the pool structure is reaching the end of its life. Also, what is the typical lifetime of a pump and filter?

As with all things, it depends on how well they are maintained and what the conditions are that they are operated under. In 2006, whoever did the new liner should have been able to see how well the walls were holding up. The pump and filter should be good for well over 20 years when properly taken care of - it's always a gamble with pools/ pool equipment - all it takes is a little neglect for a while to do some serious damage to it! Because of my job as a service tech, I see a lot of equipment that has failed well before it's time :cry: but I also see some that have worked for 20+ years without a problem :party:

I could come to your place and tell you that everything looks good, but there is no guaranty that it would still be good next week :grrrr: Hope for the best, but expect the worst :|

Heikejohn, the maintenance is more chemical than doing anything to the pump. (Bringing it in for the winter is IMO a very good thing!) If you let the water 'get away' from you, it can hurt the entire system and pool! I see dozens of pools each year that get damaged by the sole dependence on tri-chlor and ~ no testing :grrrr: Lubing the gaskets and o-rings (the ones that don't require taking breaking the pump housing apart) is a good idea, but that should only need to be done once a year.

If you haven't had a problem with what you're doing, all should be fine :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.