Recommendations please

zethacat

LifeTime Supporter
Hi all, I am in the process of designing a pool for my yard, and I have so many questions.

Here is a link to a video of what my yard looks like now:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=b841a3e9 ... ZUaT_xFzlo

And here is a drawing from a recent vendor who came to measure:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B ... t9HKyU&v=3

I'm a traditional kinda guy, so I am thinking about putting a 14x30 rectangular pool right where the small tree is.

It will be primarily used for family swimming. We don't have people over very often. And I don't plan on doing any diving. So I was thinking about an average depth of about 4'5 and no diving board or slide. I don't want it too deep that I can't just stand anywhere in the pool.

As for finish, I am torn on this decision. In my area, most PB are saying they would never install vinyl, but because of foundation issues and ground movement, but I am having a hard time understanding why vinyl would be a bad idea in those cases. It would be cheaper to replace or repair vinyl than gunite.. and that sounds good to me. On the gunite side, I am thinking I would have to go with at least a minimum of quartz for longevity. I would want to stretch the amount of time before replastering as much as possible without going overboard in budget. Pebble tech is probably not going to fit in my budget.

I am probably going to go with decking on the cheaper side, though I don't want something that is going to burn my feet so much. Is there a compromise there? Any oppositions to "Sundeck"?

I've heard so many mixed reviews about SWG and the last PB that wanted to sell me a salt water pool told me I'd have to be sealing my decking every year... and I don't want to do that. So I'm probably going to go with a non salt pool.. or if anything, just add some salt manually to soften the water.

I'd like to have some recommendations as for how many skimmers & jets would be good for a pool this size, and what equipment (pump, filter) you would recommend for long lasting, easy maintenance.

Also, is there any reason I wouldn't want both the "liquidator" and the "Ph adjuster" from Hasa aside from just the fact that they cost extra?

While my wife and kids love being out in the sun, I don't as much... and I will probably not be swimming until the sun starts to set in most cases. But I am originally from up north and I for me a 75 degree day is still a good enough day to go swimming. Considering this, and the fact that I live in an area where the summer is usually 100 degrees every day, would a heater or water feature be recommended to control water temps? Figure my pool season will probably be from late March, early April through mid-November.

Sorry, I know there are so many posts about each of these individual things, but there are so many conflicting opinions. It's hard to decide on any of it.

I will give my $0.02 on a few of these...

zethacat said:
I'm a traditional kinda guy, so I am thinking about putting a 14x30 rectangular pool right where the small tree is.
I would price an oval pool of similar dimensions. Rectangular pools are usually more expensive, so it would be worth the time to see what the price difference is.
zethacat said:
As for finish, I am torn on this decision. In my area, most PB are saying they would never install vinyl, but because of foundation issues and ground movement, but I am having a hard time understanding why vinyl would be a bad idea in those cases.
I wonder if they meant to say fiberglass as opposed to vinyl. Vinyl, as I have seen and heard it used, is a liner that is applied on top of the pool surface and not as the underlying structure. While most of the pools I have seen in DFW have a gunite structure with plaster or one of the pebble/quartz finishes installed on the surface, I have seen some fiberglass pools that have been installed for decades and they seem to be doing well.

zethacat said:
I've heard so many mixed reviews about SWG and the last PB that wanted to sell me a salt water pool told me I'd have to be sealing my decking every year... and I don't want to do that.
While there are some surfaces that are less tolerant of salt than others, I think much of the issues of "salt corrosion" is a bit over-blown. If you travel frequently or if you want to cut down on day-to-day maintenance of manually adding chlorine, a SWG is a viable option to consider. I know many people that have had a salt pool for decades that have no issues with their decking or corrosion. The salt content of a SWG pool is about 1/10th of ocean water. Even a manually-chlorinated pool will have some salt in it - mine is currently about 1/3 of the typical SWG pool. If you decide to go with a SWG, your PB should be able to suggest decking that is most appropriate for SWG.

zethacat said:
...what equipment (pump, filter) you would recommend for long lasting, easy maintenance.
The HP of the pump will depend on the final pool size, whether you have any water features, and/or a pressure-side pool cleaner (e.g., Polaris-type) to name a few. The PB should be able to recommend the proper size pump. One constant that applies regardless of the size pump you go with is to get a 2-speed or variable-speed. Which one depends on your electric rates (in DFW, the 2-speed will likely be the more cost-effective choice). With the price of 2-speeds usually less than $100 over the cost of a comparable single-speed, there is no reason to go with a single-speed today. With a 2-speed, you will likely make up the price difference in reduced electric costs in one season. Every year after that is gravy.

zethacat said:
Also, is there any reason I wouldn't want both the "liquidator" and the "Ph adjuster" from Hasa aside from just the fact that they cost extra?
If you decide against a SWG, the Liquidator will help reduce the day-to-day maintenance of manually adding chlorine (liquid bleach). Plus, when you go out of town and the pool will be unattended, the Liquidator will keep the pool chlorinated with liquid bleach which will allow you to avoid using trichlor pucks. As for the pH adjuster, I would prefer to manually adjust that.

zethacat said:
...would a heater or water feature be recommended to control water temps?
Given that your current plans do not include a deep end, it is possible that your pool water may become too warm during the summer. Therefore, I would suggest a water feature of some sort (fountain/waterfall). The evaporative cooling effect will help cool the water if you run it in the evening. As for the heater, that is a personal choice. Generally, a natural gas heater will warm the water 2-3°F per hour depending on water volume, ambient air temperature and other factors. If you get one, just don't assume that the water will go from 68-82°F in an hour.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.