Sider-Crete...

Kwikee

Feb 13, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
This looks like a great product made by Sider Crete, an acrylic modified plaster finish that is rolled on and levelled with a rubber blade "squeegee" type thing. It seems like a great idea, claimed life of 7-10 years, so similar to normal plaster, except this is a DIY product and wll cost less than $2000. I've got a friend who is a plasterer and another to labour for me, so I'm going to give it a try. For this money, if it lasts close to 7 years, I'll be happy!
Has anyone used it before, or know anyone who has used it? I think this is the product I will use, so I'm after any comment, especially tips or Don't Do's! I'll update as I go since there doesn't seem to be a lot of information around.

claimed life of 7-10 years
Of course, "claimed" is the operative word. Nevertheless, the product is interesting. Although, if I had a friend who is a plasterer, I would sure consider plaster.

Anything that is much easier and cheaper usually isn't as good for one reason or another.

When I say plasterer, I mean he does plasterboard (drywall in the US) stopping and finishing in housing, and also cement rendering on walls and so on, not a pool plasterer. Otherwise it would definitely be a no brainer!

I'm interested in this product because a) it's something a bit different, b) it's a cheaper alternative (although "value" will be decided!) and c) it's a DIY option. I'll look further into it before I go ahead, and I will conduct a few tests of my own and depending on the results, I will post here. It's a new-tech product, so perhaps it could be a better thing? History says probably not, but you never know.
I'll keep this thread updated since the information available is limited.

I managed to get hold of a "kit" today so I can have a bit of a play with it before committing 100%, which consists of 1 bag of cement based plaster weighing 19kg, and a second box containing 5L of the liquid additive, which I assume is some sort of acrylic. I also got one of their "Magic" trowels which, while very soft and pliable on the edge, looks to be pretty much a commercial type window squeegee but a good amount more expensive. For what looks like a sub $10 item at the local hardware, they charge over $50! I figure if I'm going to try for the best finish they can provide, I have to use the equipment they recommend.
[attachment=0:3mf6vivf]Sider Crete FF-PR.jpg[/attachment:3mf6vivf]
The colour we chose is called Caribbean Blue, which conjures images of a deep blue ocean, however it is actually quite a light blue. I was going to go with what they call a speckle colour with coloured quartz, but we decided to go with the solid colour because it looks cleaner. Another benefit is that it is also cheaper, so now the 12 kits to do the whole pool will come to a bit over $1500. Should look nice though.

Attachments

• Sider Crete FF-PR.jpg
    Sider Crete FF-PR.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 113
I managed to get hold of a "kit" today so I can have a bit of a play with it before committing 100%, which consists of 1 bag of cement based plaster weighing 19kg, and a second box containing 5L of the liquid additive, which I assume is some sort of acrylic. I also got one of their "Magic" trowels which, while very soft and pliable on the edge, looks to be pretty much a commercial type window squeegee but a good amount more expensive. For what looks like a sub $10 item at the local hardware, they charge over $50! I figure if I'm going to try for the best finish they can provide, I have to use the equipment they recommend.
[attachment=0:3mf6vivf]Sider Crete FF-PR.jpg[/attachment:3mf6vivf]
The colour we chose is called Caribbean Blue, which conjures images of a deep blue ocean, however it is actually quite a light blue. I was going to go with what they call a speckle colour with coloured quartz, but we decided to go with the solid colour because it looks cleaner. Another benefit is that it is also cheaper, so now the 12 kits to do the whole pool will come to a bit over $1500. Should look nice though.

Where did you find a supplier of Sider Crete i have not been able to find it anywhere but in the US.

How did it all end up?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.