Best Way To Raise CYA

To go from 20 CYA to 40 CYA, you will need to use 50 oz of trichlor tabs in TOTAL. Because they dissolve slowly, over time each tab will raise FC and CYA, and lower PH. Also because they dissolve slowly, you would need to use as many tabs as necessary at a time, so that you still maintain your minimum fc levels of 2-3for 20 cya, then maintain 2-4 fc after using 25 oz of trichlor, and then maintaining 3-5 fc after using 50 oz of trichlor. Each tab will slowly lower you ph as it dissolves, so your ph will need to be checked regularly and raised accordingly.

Each 4 oz of trichlor only raises fc by 1.8, but that's in the entire thing, and it dissolves slowly, so your getting very little fc every hour, so you would need to use more than 1 at a time. How many, will be up to your testing.

Hope I made sense and got everything right, I'm being rushed to lunch

Once you've used your 50 oz of tabs, you "should" have your 20 CYA increase and then maintain your 3-5 range with your choice of non CYA raising chlorine.

I'm currently doing that. Have 8 pucks in the auto feeder and 3 in the float in the pool. Normally use low pump speed, increased to high this morning to see if they dissolve faster (hardly a dent after 3 days on low speed). I throw a little Clorox in to keep FC above 2 or 3. I think the tabs will keep it up on high speed, will check tonight. Is tab CYA similar to CYA powder (in that it takes a week to show up)? Pretty sure I'll need at least 3 weeks to dissolve 10-15 tabs.

edit: Wow, high speed makes a huge difference. On low FC was 2-3; on high it's 10 (after 8 hrs). I'll dial it down a bit, but no harm in FC too high, right? At least until my CYA hits about 40.

To go from 20 CYA to 40 CYA, you will need to use 50 oz of trichlor tabs in TOTAL. Because they dissolve slowly, over time each tab will raise FC and CYA, and lower PH. Also because they dissolve slowly, you would need to use as many tabs as necessary at a time, so that you still maintain your minimum fc levels of 2-3for 20 cya, then maintain 2-4 fc after using 25 oz of trichlor, and then maintaining 3-5 fc after using 50 oz of trichlor. Each tab will slowly lower you ph as it dissolves, so your ph will need to be checked regularly and raised accordingly.

Each 4 oz of trichlor only raises fc by 1.8, but that's in the entire thing, and it dissolves slowly, so your getting very little fc every hour, so you would need to use more than 1 at a time. How many, will be up to your testing.

Hope I made sense and got everything right, I'm being rushed to lunch

Once you've used your 50 oz of tabs, you "should" have your 20 CYA increase and then maintain your 3-5 range with your choice of non CYA raising chlorine.

The biggest thing is your rate of chlorine loss from the sun. Besides just costing more money by going through chlorine faster, this could also cause your fc to drop to 0 leaving you with cloudiness, the beginning of alage, and the need to start the slam process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.