Under Construction on the Gulf Coast

oneman546

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2012
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Well, after reading 100's of posts I finally pulled the trigger and bought an IG Vinyl pool kit. It has been sitting in the basement since July while we have waited for a break from the relentless rain this summer. We have a window of opportunity to get this thing in over the coming week(s) and will start laying out the pool tomorrow. Heavy equipment arrives tomorrow evening and digging begins on Saturday. This will be a self-install so lots of questions to come as we power through the next couple of weeks. Here's a list of what I purchased and will be installing:

Product Description
18' x 36' Deer Creek Swimming Pool
Pool Type: Polymer Panels
Brace System: Polymer-X-Braces
Coping: Cantilever-forms-steps
Shallow End Steps: R-8-Sandstone_Sit-n-Steps
Handrail & Escutcheons: Standard Grab Rail
Handrail & Ladder Anchors: Bronze
Deep-end Entry: 3-Tread-Ladder
Swimout: 3-Tread-Ladder
Pool Pump: 2hp Hayward 2 Spd 2"
Pool Filter: 30" Hayward Sand 2"
Skimmer-System: R-2skm-3ret
Chlorinator: Aqua-Plus 4 & 40K Salt Cell
Maintenance Kit: TF-100
Pool Light: Niche & Color-Logic LED 100'
Hand-Curve: Right
Pool-Depth: Play_5ft-4in
Non Stock Liner: Savannah 28M
7-1/2' Spill-over Spa
color: Sandstone_88
Jets: 8
light: SAL
spa-cover: Brown

More posts and pics to come

Here's my take on placing the returns, skimmers, and drains. This is a play pool with a 5'-4" center and approx 19,000 gals. I will be using 2" plumbing all around and can add or subtract skimmers or returns as needed. Any advice is welcome, TIA.

Attachments

• return locations.JPG
    return locations.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 191
Sure would like to get some feedback on this.

Since posting I've decided to do away with the main drains and add a fourth return. My original plan was to not have any main drains, then some friends with a pool recommended I put them in because if the water level ever fell below the skimmers the pump would run dry. This sounded like good reasoning so I added them even though I really didn't want them. I local PB friend has since recommended adding an auto fill device instead of the main drains as backup to keep the water level above the skimmer. I found a great suggestion on TFP to hook the auto leveler to my irrigation timer to limit the amount of time it can be on.

I haven't decided where to place the forth return so would appreciate any suggestions.

oneman546 said:
Sure would like to get some feedback on this.

Since posting I've decided to do away with the main drains and add a fourth return. My original plan was to not have any main drains, then some friends with a pool recommended I put them in because if the water level ever fell below the skimmers the pump would run dry. This sounded like good reasoning so I added them even though I really didn't want them. I local PB friend has since recommended adding an auto fill device instead of the main drains as backup to keep the water level above the skimmer. I found a great suggestion on TFP to hook the auto leveler to my irrigation timer to limit the amount of time it can be on.

I haven't decided where to place the forth return so would appreciate any suggestions.

Wouldn't having the amount of time that the autofill could be on limited by your irrigation timer then defeat the goal of having it available at all times to ensure that the pump never runs dry? So the water will only be allowed to go below the level of the skimmer while the irrigation timer is in the "on" position? Ok, sorry about the snarky comment...just couldn't resist!

I'm not sure it really is necessary to have the main drains for that purpose because lots don't, but I was just not following the logic in your comments.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.