Intex sand filter size

amb

Sep 3, 2013
Gardiner, MT
We have a 15 ft by 36 inch Intex metal frame pool and want to upgrade the filter to a sand filter and separate salt water system (thanks for the insight on not buying it together) but I am having a hard time figuring out what size sand filter I need...1200 gph, 1600 gph, 2650gph. They are all similar in price on Amazon but I don't want something too big or too small that it doesn't work correctly or won't allow vacuuming (which I hope to purchase, as well).
Thanks for your help!

I am sorry, one more question. I see that there are salt water test kits and I know there are regular test kits. Do I need both? Do you have one you might recommend? Sorry we got the pool for free from a friend (although we will probably need to purchase a new pool next year (now that we know how fun it is!) because this one has holes in the bottom we have had to patch...lots of holes...like 8 holes). We don't have a test kit or a vacuum, yet. I know we NEED a test kit! I feel like we need a vacuum to get the "stuff" off the bottom of the pool. Thanks for your help!

Just trying to figure this all out. Will continue reading through all the info on this site, as well. It is great! My husband is concerned about the water getting "slimy" and not being correctly balanced so just trying to get stuff ordered quickly before the pool gets bad on us (I don't know if that can happen quickly). Will go do my homework now!

I would say you can probably get away with not having the salt kit if you can estimate how much salt you need to add, and if your SWG tells you if salt is low. The AquaChek strips to check salt aren't too expensive if you just want something to manually test with. The silver nitrate drop test has been far more consistent for me, but I only needed it when calibrating my SWG (you probably will NOT need to calibrate yours).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.