Running Valave actuator with a switch

May 2, 2013
Dallas area
Hello - I have read here that you can run a valve actuator with a switch. I have found wiring diagrams in some of the owners manuals. It looks like you need a timer or a switch, 24 vac transformer and a single pole double action relay. If I am reading these diagrams correctly, the actuator always has power going to it and only stops because of internal limit switches. Is this correct? I am surprised if this is right because of possible switch failure and the transformer is always engergized.

Am I missing something?

Anthony

aiannar974 said:
Am I missing something?
Actuators usually have a built in switch on the bottom and maybe that is what you were reading about. Actuators are normally run by a controller and the switch is used to change the direction of the actuator (on vs off) but you can also use it as a temporary bypass. You could probably build you own power supply and just use the built in switch but then why have the actuator? It is much easier to just move the valves by hand.

Only reason is to bring the control of the actuator over to the porch. This could be a switch, a timing switch or an insteon switch. I just cannot justify hundreds of dollars for a control when I have a pool with a light, a waterfall and no spa or heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.