Special Considerations for Covered Pools?

Apr 15, 2013
Central Indiana
We've been having trouble getting rid of CC during our current slam process. After digging around a bit more on this forum, I've learned that we should leave the pool uncovered in the open sun to help get rid of it. :cool:

We have an automatic cover (it's blue, if color matters), and we keep it covered unless we're in it. What other recommendations are suggested for people with covers? Should we open it up a few hours each day even when not in use? Are there other chemical-related issues to keep in mind?

TIA! :cheers:

I like to open mine up now and then to let the sun in and enjoy the views even if I'm not going in.

As far as chemicals- I have a SWG and the recommended CYA levels for SWG systems is higher than non-SWG pools. Since I use a cover and have less direct sun light concerns, I like to keep my CYA level a little lower (around 50-60) just in case I ever have to SLAM the pool. It will be a bit easier I figure.

HoosierDaddy said:
We've been having trouble getting rid of CC during our current slam process. After digging around a bit more on this forum, I've learned that we should leave the pool uncovered in the open sun to help get rid of it. :cool:

We have an automatic cover (it's blue, if color matters), and we keep it covered unless we're in it. What other recommendations are suggested for people with covers? Should we open it up a few hours each day even when not in use? Are there other chemical-related issues to keep in mind?

TIA! :cheers:

Hi! I'm in my second season of owning a Coverstar auto cover that is blue. I have noticed several things that it seems to affect. Mainly water temperature and chlorine consumption. I'm curious, how did you get into the position to need the SLAM process?

For a few days my kids said our water was "stinky". I could kinda sorta smelled it too. Here is the thread on that...

pool-water-smells-like-stinky-t65599.html

Chemgeek had a nice reply in that thread.

I have raised my chlorine to SLAM level once to clear cloudy water (only seen from underwater with goggles on) but no CC's were present or produced. I never have CC's (knock on wood) unless they were they cause of the smell, but they didn't show in testing.

The biggest issue i have is dialing in my SWG and pump run time. I have very little debris in my pool, and running the polaris once a week takes care of it. My SWG is turned off right now and will be so for a few more days, my FC crept up to 10ppm and it takes FOREVER to fall. I'm now running my CYA at 40ppm to see if that will help.

The heat retention is my favorite part, my pool will warm several degrees in a few hours of sun. If you leave the pump off, and the sun is out, you can expect a super heated layer of water on the pool, which you may or may not like, mine's been 100+ degrees many times (the layer of water).

The only real suggestions i have for you (came from my installer) are clean out your pit a couple/3 times a year depending on how much Crud lands on your cover. Open your cover once a week, even in the winter to keep everything free and moving. Clean cover once a year with a citrus degreaser and then spray it down with Aerospace Protect-ant 303, and spray the moving parts under pit cover with food grade silicon spray once a year too. You are also supposed to spray that in the tracks.

harleysilo said:
I'm curious, how did you get into the position to need the SLAM process?

Just realized I forgot to answer your question. We have an auto-chlorinator which uses pucks, and we left it empty for too long, plus we weren't testing like we should have, and our CYA turned out to be practically zero. Not quite sure why we have no CYA when chlorinating with pucks, but anyway...

We're on the right track now - testing with a TF100, hopefully just about done SLAMing....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.