Adding chemicals when the "returns" are in the pool floor

Apr 6, 2012
Puglia, Italy
OK, I have seen lots of posts saying you shouldn't just add chemicals over the side, but in front of a return. My problem is that my returns are in the floor of the pool, with the exception of one return which is in the 80cm deep childrens pool. I don't really think it is a good idea to be pouring chemicals, particularly acid, in such shallow water. I can't see any other way than over the side. The way we do it now is slowly over the side, mostly at the deep end, and above the bottom drain, which is always open as we use it for filtering. Any other suggestions?

Pool is an infinity pool, so "skimmers" are over the edge.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Re: Adding chemicals when the "returns" are in the pool floo

jblizzle said:
I would pour slowly in the deep end and then brush the bottom to ensure the chemicals mix.
Thanks.

The deep end is 2.8 metres deep, so brushing is challenging to say the least. Our vacuum brushes at the same time, so it does get brushed at the same time as cleaning, but difficult to do every night. My husband does the actual pouring, and does pour slowly, and in several places around the deep end.

I guess some of it gets sucked into the bottom drain, through the pumps, then out through the 8 returns in the floor, so it must be getting reasonably mixed.

What dangers should we be mindful of when doing this - I mean damage to equipment, liner etc., as well as danger of splashing ourselves.

You might try mixing the chemical with pool water in a 5 gallon bucket of water, then pouring it in slowly. After the bucket is empty, fill it up with pool water a couple of times and dump it into the pool which cleans the bucket and mixes the chems throughout the pool some more.

ping said:
You might try mixing the chemical with pool water in a 5 gallon bucket of water, then pouring it in slowly. After the bucket is empty, fill it up with pool water a couple of times and dump it into the pool which cleans the bucket and mixes the chems throughout the pool some more.
Can give that a try, but there are times when we are putting 25L of chlorine in at one go. This is a big pool. See my signature for the volume of water we are talking about.

IMHO you really need to look at injection pumps...stenner or similar. It would add the LC via the return line by using a timed pumping of LC. Much less handling risk and you could use larger containers... 15g-55 gallon barrels.

techguy said:
IMHO you really need to look at injection pumps...stenner or similar. It would add the LC via the return line by using a timed pumping of LC. Much less handling risk and you could use larger containers... 15g-55 gallon barrels.
Sounds like a good idea. Will have to see what is available here in Italy.

We have thought about getting bulk liquid chlorine delivered to save all the humping, and a couple of friends have changed to BBB recently, so we could share the cost with them. Then maybe we could put some sort of injection pump between the large container and the returns.

Will talk to our plumber type guy next week. This week is the main Italian holidays, so nothing happens this week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.