AquaTrol question

Feb 8, 2009
I have an above ground pool and am looking to convert to a SWG system. I have, for the most part, convinced myself that the Hayward AquaTrol is the right system for me (It's a 14,000 gallon pool). I'm trying to figure out the correct version for my purposes. I'd like to mount it vertically like the -RJ option, but would also like the flow control switch (the -HP version) so when the pump is off (or the water level is low) the SWG cell is off. It's my understanding that the -RJ version runs all the time unless you have it plugged directly into a timer, whereas the HP version will turn off if the H20 flow is halted. Is this correct?

My pool is at a property about 100 miles from my house that I maintain regularly, but every now and then stuff happens (my pump dies, the timer dies, the water gets low, etc). Not often, but enough for me to question the flow switch issue.

Also debating the usefulness of the outlet for the pump integrated with the AquaTrol. I have a Hayward SP15922S 2 speed pump rated at 11 amps high speed. The Aquatrol outlet supports 15 amps. Am I getting too close to the limit to use this as a possibility to use this timer for my pump? Also, will the timer turn the -RJ version off, or does it just control the output to the pump plugged into the outlet?

I've been using the BBB method for years based on the precursor to this website (and this one - thank you guys for keeping the poolforum ideas going), and have learned to trust your expert and tried and true opinions.

Any ideas and info would be greatly appreciated.

John

Both version include a timer. You can mount the cell vertically as long as the flow direction is up, regardless of which version you get. The HP version does not come with the right angle adapter, but that is available separately as a service part, or you can simple replace it with a short section of hose. Also, the control box is identical in both units, so you can use the RJ with a flow switch if you want to. Though I don't believe that the RJ comes with a flow switch, it is a simple addition. You should be fine with a 15 amp circuit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.