Algae is not dying....what am I doing wrong

How expensive would it be to drain and fill? How high is you water table? I know we like to clean the water that's here but sometimes it make more economic sense to start over. Late to the party...

Voice of experience: a DE filter can plug up in less than 30 minutes with muck on the floor and a vacuum hose/ robot. Watch you pressures an you may need to wade in the duck pond to clear it out. It's not fun but you know what's in the pool bare foot.

(someone said that is not what the robot was designed for... meaning I shouldn't be running the vac?
When you run a self-contained robot in a pool full of muck, the muck quickly fills the bag and the robot runs around on the floor for a couple more hours completely or partially clogged....wasting your time.

Thick muck should be removed with a manual vacuum and then place your robot in the pool when you will not overwhelm it.

It sounds like you are at that point now.

ekins2011 said:
I think we are getting there...
Chemistry:
FC- 26
CC-1
pH-7.2
Cya- 55

are these all retests or just the FC/CC are retests and PH/CYA are copied from first test? I only ask because during SLAM you really only need to be worried about FC until it actually turns clear then you can test CC during the OCLT. Since your needing to slam to over 20 you may want to consider using a 5ML sample where each drop = 1PPM FC.
chem geek said:
If you're just trying to get an approximate reading of a high FC level, then using a 5 ml sample isn't terrible for that. It roughly doubles the error from misreading the sample size. For high FC levels where this technique would be used, figure instead of a 10% error you might be off as much as 20%. If you're shocking and you are conservatively on the high side above recommended shock levels, then that may not be much of an issue.

Do you have a PH test prior to starting the SLAM process? I see you listed it at 7.2 with a an FC of 18 which means you may be reading a false high PH because of your FC level. Does anyone see a concern on this point that his PH may be lower than 7.2?

Does anyone see a concern on this point that his PH may be lower than 7.2?
Not enough concern to intentionally interrupt the slam. Somewhat low pH for a few days or so will cause no harm and SLAMmer can adjust, if necessary, once SLAM is complete and FC allowed to drift down.

I am so freaking excited! Look:

Two days ago:

I turned my filter off today because we were going to be out of town and I didn't want to blow it up. This was a sight to come home to :-D Progress...we are on day 7.
I wish I had known about using 5mL and 1 drop is 1ppm...seriously. I am out of the R-0871 and wont have any until Monday :cry: I have a Leslies and pool section at Walmart and a Hardware store...is there something I can buy there today to make sure I don't lose this progress. Something that will read up to 30ppm of chlorine?

Okay...cloudy water. Is there anything I can do or is it just running the filter and waiting?

I have not been testing pH just chlorine and cya (we tested a couple times because we used to have over 100 and have done a partial drain....well sort of...that fountain in the pictures leaks like crazy (cracks in plaster from being left dry in the sun :? ) and we have been bypassing it. So we allowed water to flow through that and slowly drain off and replace it...got the cya down to 55 and want to make sure it stays there).

ekins2011 said:
I am so freaking excited! Look:

Two days ago:

I turned my filter off today because we were going to be out of town and I didn't want to blow it up. This was a sight to come home to :-D Progress...we are on day 7.
I wish I had known about using 5mL and 1 drop is 1ppm...seriously. I am out of the R-0871 and wont have any until Monday :cry: I have a Leslies and pool section at Walmart and a Hardware store...is there something I can buy there today to make sure I don't lose this progress. Something that will read up to 30ppm of chlorine?

Okay...cloudy water. Is there anything I can do or is it just running the filter and waiting?

I have not been testing pH just chlorine and cya (we tested a couple times because we used to have over 100 and have done a partial drain....well sort of...that fountain in the pictures leaks like crazy (cracks in plaster from being left dry in the sun :? ) and we have been bypassing it. So we allowed water to flow through that and slowly drain off and replace it...got the cya down to 55 and want to make sure it stays there).

I can't answer the R-0871 question. If you have to wait for it to arrive you might look at your previous usage and see if it varied much by day. You could add a similar amount every day until your R-0871 arrives. That way you won't lose any ground.

If you have to order the 0871, while you are waiting for it to come in continue dosing the pool as you have been. For example, if testing showed you needed to add 1 large jug of 8.25% bleach every 3 hours then continue that dose until you can test again.

The following is not a recommended method of testing FC for the slam process, but it can help you keep FC in the ballpark until you get more 0871.
extended-oto-color-comparator-t61073.html

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jonjonathan said:
You can get the 0871 reagent at leslies. That way you don't have to sit around waiting on the mailman. You can ask for it by the name of the FAS-DPD tritating reagent. It has a #2 on the label.

Really? That seems to contradict the findings of many many members who have tried to buy it locally from them with no luck.

I got lucky and found refills from a local pool store (not a leslies) that said they can get them for me from their distributor. This is after USPS lost my refills which were to be delivered Wednesday!

I'm waiting for the mail to be delivered today to give the package one more time to show up then I'm off to that store to pick up the R-0870 and R-0871.

I probably called 10 stores before I found someone who could find them for me!

jonjonathan said:
You can get the 0871 reagent at leslies. That way you don't have to sit around waiting on the mailman. You can ask for it by the name of the FAS-DPD tritating reagent. It has a #2 on the label.
If it has a #2 on the label, it's DPD reagent #2. It's not a FAS-DPD reagent.

:roll: well that explains the mystery now!!! I had some 0871 on order but then I seen it on leslies website and so I went down to the store and the "helpful" guy who helped me insisted this was one in the same and that sometimes they give it a different name because it is used in various test kits. When I tried to use it and it did not work correctly all 3 times I tried it. I gave up and figured maybe I had to many beers to be operating a test kit. The next day my 0871 reagent showed up and the test worked just fine. I tossed out the other similiar looking but different bottle and didnt think to much of it until now. Now I can go back and tell him that yes, it is the same only different. :goodjob:

Well, had a few problems with the DE filter and then we got a bunch of unseasonal rain that dumped a lot of crud in our pool. Things are pretty much clear now, but with a thin layer of dead algae and dust on bottom. VERY close to crystal but the weather hasn't been cooperating. I would call the SLAM process a great success, though we haven't quite gotten back to crystal clear yet due to other factors. Maybe next weekend. :)

I can tell you the regular Leslie's stores THINK they have it, but in reality they just don't know what they are talking about. Luckily I live by a commercial one, and I use them in emergencies. It's not a store front. They don't have floaties, there are no signs promoting PhosFREE, and the people behind the service counter don't care if you buy anything or not. It is strictly a supply house for industry folks. But, they have the 870 and 871. But I still buy from Dave because I like supporting the knowledgeable, small companies.

ekins2011 said:
We have gotten to a light green cloudy color 5 times this summer but never clear. After our son was born last summer we neglected the pool because we thought it would be easy to get back to this:

I will shock up to 22 now and just try to be patient. We have not seen the bottom of the pool in over a year despite spending $1000s at the pool store (foolishly....seriously it hurts to think of how stupid we were.) Before this year we kept the free chlorine at 1 and never had a single problem...so I was thinking...hey owning a pool is super easy! I am getting to the point where I don't think it is worth the hassle anymore...someone talk me out of a demo. of my pool.
Now that the pool is almost sparkling clear, I recommend you do your homework and study in Pool School. If you follow our method of taking care of your pool, I believe you will never want to demo it again and never spend a grand to clear a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.