Cloudy Water after being out of town for over a month :-(

May 1, 2013
McKinney, TX
I was out of town and had someone periodically looking over the pool, however when I returned last Friday, there was no FC and the pool had a fair amount of Alge on the bottom. I have scrubbed, shocked, vac'd and added Soda Ash to raise the PH level. The crud at the bottom is gone and the water is blue (no longer green) however the water is still cloudy. So much so that it is nearly impossible to see the bottom of the pool.

Since I don't have the TF-100 test kit yet (ordering now) I am posting the results from a 5 way test kit and will go out tonight and buy the 6 way kit at Walmart.

Here are the results of the 5 Way:
FC=2
pH=7.2
TA=80

According to pool school and calc, I plan to add 8.5 oz of the Soda Ash (since I still have it) and 18 oz of Baking Soda.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on what is causing the cloudiness and if the Soda Ash and Baking Soda will help??

Anything else that I may have missed posting, let me know.

Thanks in advance!
--Josh

Re: Cloudy Water after being out of town for over a month :-

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Save your money on the 6-way test and just wait for a good kit. You may be able to get the TF-100 from the west coast distributor (poolsupplyworld) a little faster.

The pH and TA are fine. Leave them. Really what you need to know is your CYA level so that you know the proper FC levels required for the SLAM process. [slam:3qvzw2j0][/slam:3qvzw2j0]

The cloudiness is likely part of an algae bloom or filtration issues. Since you state you use tablets and shock ... likely your CYA is too high and you will have to replace water to lower it before SLAMing.

While waiting, read through Pool School ... it takes a few times before a lot of it sinks in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.