Using cheap pool pump - Risk damaging anything?

Aug 2, 2013
Hi. First off, thank you all for all the help and info this board provides.

I have a 15,000 gallon 30'x15' pool with 1.5" piping, in the hot Florida sun.
Filter is Sta-Rite System 2.

I just ordered a new, cheap, 2 speed 1.5 HP pump off eBay for $165 and my concern is not how long the pump lasts but if I am risking putting any of my pool equipment or plumbing at risk.

Prior to this I had a Pentair SuperFlo 1.5 HP single speed that lasted only 2 years.

As long as this new cheapo pump lasts a year or two I'm OK with it, but because it's so cheap does this mean I'm risking damaging anything else?

I plan to run it only at low speed about 8-10 hours per day for filtration and occasionally switch to high for a couple of hours just to run the automatic cleaner.

I know that 1.5 HP is overkill for my pool size but I went with the 1.5 HP version of this new cheap pump due to it being 2 speed so I could run it at low all the time and still have the higher power available for the automatic cleaner and backwash.

Thank you for any info.

Welcome to the forum. :wave: It may not give you the flow that you are expecting but done is done. Does it list a Service Factor on the motor......it's likely not a full-rated 1.5 HP but, even then, you may get your two years out of it....time will tell.

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. :wave: It may not give you the flow that you are expecting but done is done. Does it list a Service Factor on the motor......it's likely not a full-rated 1.5 HP but, even then, you may get your two years out of it....time will tell.
Thank you for the reply. Am I risking damaging any other equipment by using this cheap pump? Thanks again.

Welcome to tfp, aquafan :wave:

As duraleigh was indicating most likely not, but posting the service factor on the motor will tell us/you whether is it a "full" rated or "uprated" pump. Even better would be a make/model of the pump so we could review the performance curves. In all likelihood though, that pump probably moves less water than your current pump so you should be okay.

Thank you so much guys, that takes a load off my chest. I didn't mind taking a risk with the life of the pump but I certainly don't want to damage anything else because of the pump being so cheap. So you're saying because it's a cheap pump then most likely it won't move as much water as a higher quality 1.5 HP pump? That's actually another reason I chose the 1.5 HP version over the 1 HP, because I figured the "1.5" was really going to be slower anyway. Another question if you don't mind, if I'm using 2 speed pumps, does having the automatic pool cleaner mean I should go for 1.5 HP instead of 1 HP on this 15K pool? Again thanks for the help and quick replies. Cheers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.