What is different about glass tile installation?

Jul 12, 2013
Saint Louis, MO
We have picked out a killer 1" mosaic glass tile for our waterline. I have heard that there is something different about glass tile installation, and that if not done properly, it can be a disaster. My PB has not left me filled with confidence, so I am all over TFP to educate myself. I feel like I have to watch every step of the build like a hawk... :brickwall:

Glass tile manufacturers will spec a type of mortar to be used with their tile. This recommendation (requirement?) needs to be followed as glass behaves (expands/contracts) differently than porcelain. Cutting glass tile is different, too. Glass tile is expensive, you really need a tile man versed in glass tile to get a top notch job. The mechanics of setting it are the same, but the materials and methods differ enough that you can get the disasters you’ve heard about if they don’t know how to handle the differences.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.