Adding bleach daily?

Jun 20, 2010
NE Ohio
I'm new and very pleased with BBB.

My numbers are great and the pool looks good (Knock Wood!)

My only question is it normal to be adding a bit of bleach daily? It's not much but when the pool calc calls for it I do.

I think it's hard to break the puck mindset of drop it and forget it for days.

Very normal. If you raise it a couple points higher than recommended you can often get by with every-other-day during times where nobody is swimming (which is now for us Ohioans). When people are swimming often or the water temp is over 90 it is best to stay on top of it daily.

Thanks! I wasn't (too) worried but just wanted to confirm that it wasn't supposed to last for days in there. The first week I was adding bleach in the a.m. (pool gets full sun all day). I finally started adding it at night (failure to follow directions will be noted on my Pool School interim report ;)

I cheat a little and add 1 gallon every other day...my CYA is 55-60 and I lose about 2ppm per day...the gallon bumps my chlorine up about 4.5 ppm and that usually gets me through 2 days.

Note that if you use a pool cover that is more opaque, then the chlorine loss can be less. Mine is around 1 ppm per day as a result and that's with the pool used every day for 1-2 hours so I add chlorine around twice a week. If the pool were kept closed and not used, the daily loss would be around 0.6 to 0.7 ppm per day and the only reason it's that high is that the water temp is around 88ºF.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Entirely normal to add chlorine daily during swim season. Organic contaminants are constantly trying to invade a pool and chlorine kills them off before they have a chance to get a foothold. As a result, some chlorine is consumed simply by doing its job as a sanitizer. Sunlight is also another cause of chlorine loss, though a cover can help mitigate loss from this factor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.