Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: LaMotte ColorQ PRO 7

1. Back To Top    #1

LaMotte ColorQ PRO 7

Has anyone used the Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7? It's about $110 onsale now......any feed back wood be great. I know, the Test Kit that is popular on the forum, but I'm color blind, and I have issues....thus an electronic tester is the way for me. Plus I don't trust the pool store testering.....
    Barrier Reef Fiberglass Pool (Grande I 35'1" X 13'9" Shallow end 3'11" Deep End 5'9")
    AquaComfort Salt Water Generator
    AquaComfort Electric Heater
    Hayward Pump??
    Hayward Filter Catridge??
    Hayward ColorLogic LED light (should of listened to you guys & get 2 of them!!)
    AquaVac QC Robot Cleaner
    Sonos Digital Sound Music System
    FiberGlass Rock Replica Waterfall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: LaMotte ColorQ PRO 7

The ColorQ has some limitations. If you are aware of the limitations, and can work within them, it can be a very nice unit. Basically it works best if FC is below 10 and CH is not too high. The FC, CC, and PH tests are quite good. The TA and CH have less precision than you really want and CYA can be way off if you aren't very careful with water temperature and mixing time procedure and even then is not as precise as could be desired. There are reports that all of the numbers can be way off if CH is over 500.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by coolpackard69
    Has anyone used the Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7? It's about $110 onsale now......any feed back wood be great. I know, the Test Kit that is popular on the forum, but I'm color blind, and I have issues....thus an electronic tester is the way for me. Plus I don't trust the pool store testering.....
    Here is a thread that discusses it. You can search for ColorQ with the search function of the forum and find even more info.

4. Back To Top    #4

As Jason said, buy it for ph, FC and TC - ALK and CH are OK - Do not depend on it for CYA. I never got a number from it on CYA that was even close.It is good machine if you know it's limitations.
    Amir
    7500 Gallon Kayak, 1HP Sta-Rite Pump, Pool Pilot DIG-36 SWG, AquaCal H100 Heatpump

5. Back To Top    #5

I have had very good success with the "Q". The readings I get compared to the K-2006 have compared quite well, even the CYA test.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by coolpackard69
    I too have had good success with the ColorQ EXCEPT for CH. One of the Waterbear posts brought to light that if your CH is near 300 or higher, the ColorQ will read LOW. For my experience, CH reads as much as 100ppm low (my CH is 310ppm). TA also may need a correction based on titration results. Currently, my ColorQ reads 15ppm high. The amount of correction never changes unless I change the reagents, so TA is accurate between titrations (I check TA via titration once per week, and the correction rarely changes). All of the other results are very accurate, even CYA. (my CYA is 65ppm)

I like the ColorQ very much as compared to their previous unit (PC-4). The convenience of adding 5 drops into a 5ml vial and pressing a button can not be beat!!
    Don SW Florida
    10,000 gal in ground concrete pool
    Pentair Cartridge filter, Pentair SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump (11018)
    FAFCO solar panels w/Pentair SolarTouch controller
    using BBB for pool chemistry/Lamotte ColorQ tester for daily testing

7. Back To Top    #7

I use it daily along with the oakton pH meter and TF100 weekly. I feel that my water is safe for the most part.
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster