New pool build

Jun 24, 2013
Im in central NJ and recently went through the pool/contractor experience and learned quite a few things. Everybody has a story of problems and encounters, so I won't bore you with my tribulations, but I had to laugh when my contractor (with a Century of experience) tells me he will not clean the dirt from my pool but will rent me a cleaning device. Additionally, he is not supplying any additional chemicals and is not responsible for chemically balancing my salt pool with my new Zodiac Fusion unit. Just to capture everything, he has been paid in full at milestones and is completely cash flow positive. We had a riff about 3/4 of the way through construction, primarily about the backfill technique since my in ground pool basically was 2' above grade. The topo for the township permit was completed and twenty tandem truckloads of dirt were brought in. Had to get a better soil that had a compaction of 95 ft pounds (not supplied by my pool guy) (and not installed in lifts)' and he also gave me a rough time about aggregate backfill. So I had to get out my engineering book on soil types and structural loading for soil. Bottom line is now I have to compact the full depth now and water and wait longer before pouring concrete.

Anyway, ever hear of a pool guy that sells you a $30K pool and does not adjust water quality? Seems unthorthodox, but what do I know. Looks like I better do some more reading! Tried to post a pic but it quickly goes to upload and then back to post but does not allow me to attach file.

Ciao

If you've found this forum and bought into the BBB method of pool maintenance, then you should be glad they didn't do anything. That way they couldn't mess anything up.

Our PB did nothing in that respect which was great. You will only get comfortable with pool maintenance by becoming educated and you've already found the best place to do it!

Head directly to Pool School, do not pass Go first.

It depends on what your contract called for. You should always get a list of specifications...items to be included. $30,000 is cheap for a pool, so the PB may not have included those things in his quote.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.