Sand Filter weak suction

Jul 24, 2013
Hi everyone ! I have a Hayward Sand Filer issue here. It may be as simple as new sand, but it was seemingly sudden to get into the condition it's in now. Allow me to explain and let me know your thoughts !

So I backwashed for about 5 min and cleaned out skimmer and basket near filter. I even popped off the strap holding the motor to the basket and made sure there was no debris near or lodged in the impeller. While opened up, I even switched on the power real quick to hear the motor spinning the impeller in plain air and it sounded very clean and efficient. I then hooked everything back up and it started up just fine, however, there is only approx 30% suction in the skimmer as well as the vacuum head now. i need to replace my pressure gauge as it's become eroded and untrustworthy. I'll replace that today and let you know about pressure listed there !.

Thanks in advance !

Jason.z

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Do you see air in the pump basket? Are you sure it is fully primed?

Could be a blockage in the suction or return line that would suddenly result in lower flow. Not likely a sand issue.

A gauge will certainly help troubleshoot.

I love Richard320's saying, " The last thing you fixed is the first thing to look at"

It sounds like you have an air leak on the suction side. See if you can detect it sucking air, as jblizzle suggests.

" The last thing you fixed is the first thing to look at"

AMAZING. That was it. i was fiddling with the skimmer last week and just looked, the stopper came loose in the bottom !! screwed it back in, all suction goes to main pipes again !!!.. .SWEET !!!.. .thx for the simple and effective advise !!! I shall share it !!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.