Removing threaded inlet & outlet pipes from pump

Jul 7, 2012
I have just gone over to a variable-speed pump and want to remove the threaded inlet/outlet pipes from the old one so I can sale it (or keep it for a backup later on).
I can't remove the 2" pipes which were threaded into the pump as they seem to have some sealant around them and I can't break them loose - and one of them is cut flush to the pump.
Any help, anyone?

Attachments

• pump Inlet.jpg
    pump Inlet.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 55
  • pump outlet.jpg
    pump outlet.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 55
You could always solvent weld a street adapter into them to tie onto later. Have you tried a pipe wrench? If you are CAREFUL, you can take a hack saw blade and cut 90% of the way through the inside of the pipes and then, break or pull the pieces out. Just dont mess up the threads. If someone used some type of sealant to glue them they are not coming out hence the street adapters.

you cut a slot on each side inside the pipe ,up too but not into the threads, with a dremel or just a bare hacksaw blade . you then knock the half side of each pipe out with hammer and screw driver . I do it all the time even with glued fittings

Thank you for the replies, Guys.
First I tried some solvent dissolving liquid but I was concerned with using too much in case it compromised the pump body, etc. I tried a pip[e wrench but it would not move the one where I could get a grip.
I guess I will have to cut and punch out.
Excuse my ignorance but what is a street adapter?
It did occur to me to use and internal adapter - sufficient to just fit inside a 2" pipe. Like an internal collar. Would reducing the flow over that small amount be crucial?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.