First time pool owner - pool hasn't been clear all season

Re: First time pool owner - pool hasn't been clear all seaso

Day 16:

OCLT result: Loss of 2 ppm FC
CYA is 40; Continuing SLAM process. Recommended shock FC with CYA of 40 is 16 ppm; restoring FC to 20 after each test.

Test #1
FC: 18
CC: 0

Test #2
FC: 13.5

Test #3
FC: 13.5

When I do pass the OCLT, the Chlorine/CYA chart indicates that with a CYA level of 40, the pool should be kept at 3-5 ppm of FC for swimming. I seem to be losing a lot of FC during the day, so is it normal to pour enough bleach in the pool at dusk or in the early morning on a daily basis to raise FC to about 10-12 to keep the FC above 3 during the day? What should I be aiming for?

Attachments

• IMAG0201.jpg
    IMAG0201.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 56
  • IMAG0202.jpg
    IMAG0202.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 56

Do you have a light in the wall? Have you cleaned behind it?

Losing FC during the day is normal (due to the sun) but are you losing 2FC each night? You are pretty blue to have much living algae in the main body of the pool.

safount said:
When I do pass the OCLT, the Chlorine/CYA chart indicates that with a CYA level of 40, the pool should be kept at 3-5 ppm of FC for swimming. I seem to be losing a lot of FC during the day, so is it normal to pour enough bleach in the pool at dusk or in the early morning on a daily basis to raise FC to about 10-12 to keep the FC above 3 during the day? What should I be aiming for?
You will lose a lot less FC once you have finished off the organics and you let your FC come down to normal levels. FC loss to the sun is a percentage. Typically (though there is no such thing as a typical pool) you might loose ~55% of your chlorine per day when your cya is 40 ppm. So to stay above 3 ppm you would want to dose to 3/(1-0.55)=6.7 ppm FC (so 7 ppm might be a good target, or 8 to keep safe). Now if you move your cya up to 50 ppm which requires keeping FC above 4 ppm, then you may only loose 40%/day...so 4/(1-0.4)=6.7 ppm FC (so again 7 ppm might be a good target or 8 to be safe). Again, keep in mind that each pool will be different. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/phosphates-and-sudden-chlorine-drop-t49199-20.html#p408263

Progress update: Finally passed OCLT on Day 25.
Started the SLAM process on July 14th.
Pool was good to go on August 8th.

Thanks everyone for the help! :-D

Attachments

• IMAG0228.jpg
    IMAG0228.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMAG0170.jpg
    IMAG0170.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 45
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.