Is this Calcium Scaling?

werd98

Feb 7, 2012
San Jose, CA
First off, the important stuff:

FC 3
CC 0
CYA 5-10 (trying to raise this)
pH 7.8 (just added a gallon of 14.5% muriatic acid, which should lower this considerably)
TA 230
CH 160

Now, I've noticed this around my water line - is it calcium scaling? Is this a reason to lower my TA (aside from wanting to go to borates)?

Attachments

• IMG_8271.JPG
    IMG_8271.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 125
It's hard to tell from the pic, but the classic signs of a calcium ring are not jumping out at me. When I moved in to our current house, the pool had a much more prominent calcium ring (which has since disappeared since going BBB). Your CH number is actually a bit low for a plaster pool for which the ideal range is between 250-350 ppm. Your pH and TA are on the high side, as you have noticed. Focus primarily on lowering pH to the lower half (e.g., 7.2 - 7.5) of the recommended range. Periodic additions of Muriatic Acid to keep pH in check will also lower TA.

BTW, keep raising CYA - you want a minimum of 30 ppm.

A pumice stone and elbow grease is how you clean that. It will sound awful - like fingernails on a chalkboard - but it works and you won't see scratches. You will see a lot of pumice grit on the bottom of the pool that you'll need to vacuum up. And it takes a huge toll on shoulders, so predose yourself with some motrin.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.