CYA question... Am I on the right track?

myrddin

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2012
Southern Indiana
Hi guys... question...

I have a CYA at 30... I shoot for 4 PPM for chlorine per the Pool Calculator and trouble free pool methods. Here is what I am seeing...

over night loss test is 1 or less

If I bring Chlorine up to 6 PPM at night approximately 24 hours later I am at 2 PPM (which is the minimum for my CYA).

Should I bring up the CYA so that I am closer to the 4 PPM which is the recommended amount... Or would you say that after a hot day of full on sun that this is about right?

Thanks guys...

Also FYI
PH - 7.5
TA about 70
Water sparkles, I just need some reassurance I am doing the right thing...

You could very well need to raise your CYA level to avoid so much of a daily loss. Your minimum and target levels also go up if you do. Anything over 3 to 4 loss is excessive without a heavy swimmer load.

Be sure to check and clean the skimmer baskets and pump strainer baskets. These can harbor trapped debris that may not be visible in the pool but will still increase your chlorine consumption. I run a CYA in the 30's, which is on the low side given the Texas summer sun and a pool that gets direct sunlight for much of the day. However, I am militant about keeping these items clean. The most FC I have lost in a 24 hr. period so far this summer is 2.5 ppm. The more common daily mid-summer FC loss for me on a sunny day is around 2 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.