SWCG Raising FC too high

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
Help with FC rising

I started my system off with bleach, I raised FC to 12 as I was heading out of town. Once FC was down to 4, I started the SWCG. I initially set it to 80%, after a day my FC was at 7. I lowered it to 70%, the next day FC was 8.5. I now set it to 50% and the next day (today) it is a 9.5.

My pump is currently running on high speed 24 hours per day.

Should I lower the salt cell percentage more, or have the pump cycle off overnight, or have the pump run on low most of the time?

FC = 9.5
CC = .5
PH = 7.5
TA = 320
CYA = 55
Salt = 2930

Re: Help with FC rising

toofast said:
Well I can start by saying high speed 24 hours a day is major overkill...mine runs on low a total of 6 hours a day.

Other experts with SWCG will surely chime in and help out.

I want to make adjustments slowly, so I went ahead and turned the filter on low. Ill run on low 24 hours. I also lowered cell percentage to 45%.

I know the cell percentage will affect FC, wasnt sure though if the pump run time or speed would.

I posted this in the BBB forum, but realized it was more SWCG so am moving it here.

Topics merged. Please keep everything relating to one project or question together in one place. That is far more important than getting it into the correct forum.

My FC is climbing each day and I am not completely sure why. I initially set it to 80%, after a day my FC was at 7. I lowered it to 70%, the next day FC was 8.5. I now set it to 50% and the next day it is a 9.5. Now im at 45% and my pump is on low speed for 12 hours (was previously high for 24) and this morning FC was 11

Seems no matter what changes I make, FC just climbs.

Well, I didnt realize it at the time, but mine is supposedly undersized. I have the T-CELL9 and my pool, according to my dig specs, is 22k. Glock30, I see you have the same size as me (18x36) and yours is 26k, how did you get that number?

CYA is 50.

I will lower runtime back to 8 hours today and see if any change. Note though that run time WAS 24 hours on high speed and has been 12 hours on low speed for the last day and FC is still climbing

Pump speed will not affect the SWG output. The % setting is the amount if time the SWG is generating while the pump is on.

So 50% for 24 hours either make the same chlorine as 100% for 12 hours ... but in the second case you would save 50% of your pump electricity.

Generally you set the pump run time to keep the pool clean and then set the % to give adequate FC.

I can attest that it can be difficult to "dial in" your SWG. My personal issue is that my pool is constantly covered and i loose/use very little chlorine, so once it's in, it's in. I have considered buying a chemical you can add in the pool to remove chlorine when mine climbs, but i've yet to do that.

Unfortunately you are just going to have to experiement to see how little you can run your pump and still keep your pool clean to your liking while producing enough chlorine.

24 hour pump run time most likely is unneccesary and is costing you money.

Edit: Remove inaccurate statements about target pool water turnover rate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.