SWG reading lower salt level than store salt test

Apr 30, 2012
Hello,

I am getting a couple of flashing light on the SWG display indicating that the "salt level is too low" and to 'inspect the cell". The reading is 2600 for salt level on the SWG. I just took a water sample into the store a few days ago and it was right at 3200.

Would you advise adding salt until the SWG is happy? Or is it some other issue potentially? What other info is needed for a proper diagnosis?

Thanks in advance.

-SP

Hello spappas,

I have a Goldline Aqua-Rite T-Cell 5 system and have had the same problem for the past year. I would get the same light indications and the unit would show a salt level lower than the listed range for the unit. I would take a water samples to the store and each time their test would show the salt level within the correct range. I called the manufacturer and was told a + or - reading of 500 ppm was "normal." This I thought was a problem. It was my understanding the unit had to have a minimum reading to 2700 ppm for it to generate chlorine. So for the past year I have been adding salt just to keep the level above 2700 ppm as indicated by the unit. Whenever I had a water sample tested by the store it showed a salt level 100-200 ppm over the maximum level. I believed the cell was reaching it retirement age (approximate 5 years of use) and I was worried what damage, if any, a consistent actually high salt level could be happening.

Well this past weekend it finally happened, total failure of the unit. I added salt as I have done before but this time the indicator lights always came back on. I once again attended "Pool School" on this forum and saw 2 possible causes. It was either the cell or the computer "motherboard." So I disconnected my cell and brought it to the store to be tested. Their test showed the cell was dead. They also informed me that there was a possibility the computer board was bad. This is when their "sale mode" went into action. I had a dead cell, a possible problem with computer board and the T-Cell 5 system was no longer being sold as a complete unit. I was thinking on buying either a T-Cell 9 or the T-Cell 15 system but decided to take a chance with just a new T-Cell 5 unit.

The cell arrived just about an hour ago. I installed it, and after a little problem with the configuration process, the cell is up and running on "Super Chlorinate" and appears to be working. I would not consider myself a pool tech but with the help of this forum, especially the "Pool School" I hope my problem was remedied. This appears to be a problem that will get progressively worse over time so I would call your pool store and ask if they can test your cell. I would not just keep adding salt because of the possible damage high salt levels can cause. Good luck.

I hope you do not think I am "stealing" your post but your situation is very similar to mine and I hope the details of my situation will help you in some way.

I just checked my system and it indicates "Hi" salt level at 3800 ppm and is not generating chlorine. I now need to drain the pool water and add fresh water to get the salt level down. The high salt level I believe, or should I say hope, is because the cell is working properly. The fact I was adding salt just to make the cell happy has now become a problem with the new cell. A problem that can be easily dealt with.

Again, I hope I am not stealing your thread and hope my situation with in some way help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.